Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there a humane cat deterrent ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Cat deterrent

Aplogies if off topic but is there a (humane ) way to put these unwelcome pests off from coming in and ?*?*?*?* in the garden. Perhaps ultrasonic methods?

big dog

How about a big dog? Another approach is that they mark their areas out by urinating in them. How embarassed would you be for doing it around the garden yourself?

After more thought, I remember some years ago learning that taking a plastic container that is made from white, not clear, plastic and filling it with water and putting it in your garden will ward off dogs. This might work for cats as well. The containers were of the jug type with narrow necks so that animals could not drink the water.

I suspect that the sun heats the plastic which puts chemicals in the water which evaporates and stimulates the smell sensors in the animals.

Hi Jeremiah,

I think the ultrasonic method will work. Cats hear much higher frequencies than humans. If you send a modulated ultrasonic sound that is loud enough, you won't have any cats, dogs, mices, ... even perhaps no neighbours anymore.

Bye

I must warn you about ultrasonic approach. Some womans are oversensitive to ultrasound, Hope you don't like to lose them.

Cat deterrent

Look for a product called the "Ultrasonic Pet Trainer." It has two buttons, one for positive reinforcement (audible tone that even humans can hear) and an ultrasonic "negative" reinforcement button.

We bought one of these to get the cats out of our garage. They would always follow us in and when we wanted to close the garage door we could never keep the out. On MOST cats, they will really get the message when you aim and hit the ultrasonic button. I say most because we wanted to use it on our cat to keep her from getting on the table, etc. and it does not seem to affect her!

An effective thing we have tried it to get one of those large "spray bottles" and set the output to the finest stream setting and just hit the cat with water. Works for ALL cats. Another approach would be to use one of those new fancy squirt guns. My son has one and you can hit something with a fine stream of water a good 10+ m.

Ron

I think cat are lovely creatures and they do have healing powers. However, if you really want to get rid of them, go to a pet shop that cater only to dogs and ask for a salt (I don't know the specify name for it but I will find it out) that you can sprinkle on your property to deter the cats from coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back