Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is the following function convex ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisnot

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
convex function

how would i determine if the following function is convex?

f(x)=-[det(A0+x1A1+...+xnAn)]^(1/m) on {x | A0+x1A1+...+xnAn > 0}

~thanks

Re: convex function

I think you have \[A_{n} (m \times m)\]

Use
1. definition of convex function \[f(\alpha x+(1-\alpha)y)\leq \alpha f(x) + (1-\alpha ) f(y)\]

2. \[det(cA)=c^m det(A)\]

3. Show 1. using Minkowski's inequality \[A\neq 0, B\neq 0 (m\times m)\] and Positive semidefinite
\[[[det(A+B)]]^{\frac{1}{m}}\geq (detA)^{\frac{1}{m}} + (detB)^{\frac{1}{m}}\]

Then, you will have
\[\alpha f(x) = -[det(\alpha A_{0} + \alpha x_{1}A_{1}+\cdots +\alpha x_{n}A_{n})]^{\frac{1}{m}}\]
and the same for \[(1-\alpha ) f(y)\]

and
\[f(\alpha x + (1-\alpha )y) = -[det\{ (\alpha + (1-\alpha) )A_{0} + (\alpha x_{1}+(1-\alpha )y_{1} )A_{1}+\cdots +(\alpha x_{n} + (1-\alpha )y_{n})A_{n} \}]^{\frac{1}{m}}\]

Last edited by a moderator:

How did you do these equations on the post. it's amazing!

me2please said:
I think you have \[A_{n} (m \times m)\]

Use
1. definition of convex function \[f(\alpha x+(1-\alpha)y)\leq \alpha f(x) + (1-\alpha ) f(y)\]

2. \[det(cA)=c^m det(A)\]

3. Show 1. using Minkowski's inequality \[A\neq 0, B\neq 0 (m\times m)\] and Positive semidefinite
\[[[det(A+B)]]^{\frac{1}{m}}\geq (detA)^{\frac{1}{m}} + (detB)^{\frac{1}{m}}\]

Then, you will have
\[\alpha f(x) = -[det(\alpha A_{0} + \alpha x_{1}A_{1}+\cdots +\alpha x_{n}A_{n})]^{\frac{1}{m}}\]
and the same for \[(1-\alpha ) f(y)\]

and
\[f(\alpha x + (1-\alpha )y) = -[det\{ (\alpha + (1-\alpha) )A_{0} + (\alpha x_{1}+(1-\alpha )y_{1} )A_{1}+\cdots +(\alpha x_{n} + (1-\alpha )y_{n})A_{n} \}]^{\frac{1}{m}}\]

Hi firephenix405,

when writing a post just klick on the LaTex-Button for an overview. In the text klick on TeX, write your formula as described in the overview, press again Tex* - that's it.
\[\alpha \sum \int \sqrt[n]{abc}\]

Mik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back