Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is my analysis of TI TL431 schematic correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

annebrt

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
1. The schematic (taken from the TI TL431's datasheet) is divided into three blocks as in the image: block 1 is a band gap reference, block 2 is a differential pair, and block 3 is a Darlington configuration. Is it correct?
2. If my division is incorrect, how to divide it? If my division is correct, why is it still a valid differential pair since the left and right branches are not symmetrical? What is the impact of the asymmetry?
3. What is the function of Q1? What if connect directly without Q1?

tl431_sch.jpg

What is the function of Q1?
My guess is that, since this transistor is inserted in an emitter follower configuration, it has the characteristic of making the load effect of the entry stage of the circuit smaller for whatever is connected to the reference input, that is, acting as a buffer.

block 2 is a differential pair

It looks like a current mirror. Left-hand PNP current is influenced by the network in the area of your blue numeral 1.
It has bias current in common with the right-hand PNP, thus similar current goes through the right-hand PNP.

If it were a long-tail pair (commonly used as a differential detector), the two emitter legs would share one resistor or transistor or current source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back