Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it there any disadvantage of two clock to one DFF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnspy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In my design, there are two clocks though a MUX to a DFF clock.

Does this kind of design have any disadvantages?

thanks in advance.

For what purpose? You need switching time from one clock to another clock through the multiplexer. Anyway, try to control your phase noise on both of your clock.

cnspy said:
In my design, there are two clocks though a MUX to a DFF clock.

Does this kind of design have any disadvantages?

thanks in advance.
Hi cnspy:

Is the clock will switch when the CHIP working? On the fly and not have

different design consideration.

wang1

It will be a problem if you dont take care of the switching between the two. It also depends on how the inputs are given to the DFF in each of the clock modes.

First thanks for your reply.

I try to make my question clearly.

My module has two interfaces: one is asynchronous and the other is synchronous with gated-clock.
I use a register need to be set by asynchrounous side and cleared by synchronous side.
I have to use the write and other control signals to generate a clock to set the DFF value. Then I will have a generated clock and another clock from synchronous to the DFF.
I know this will cause troubles on STA, but if I use asynchronous method to clear the DFF, the DFT will become diffuclt.
I am not good at this. Hope to get more information or solution from you.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back