Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to solder a 38 pin TSSOP on a homemade PCB at home ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elektronman

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible to solder a 38 pin Package (TSSOP) on a homemade PCB at home ?

Hello,
I'm working on a HDMI recorder, I'd like to know if is possible to solder the pads of a female plg HDMI:
HDMI Female solder connector products, buy HDMI Female solder connector products from alibaba.com

with the input of a HDMI receiver chip which is a 38pin DBT package:
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpd12s520.pdf

Even if is possible, should I be careful about the fact of dealing with differential signals?

Thank you very much

You won't be able to solder it on a home made PCB. If you are good at soldering you could do it on a professionally made PCB with solder resist. Without the solder resist you will find it impossible to avoid bridging the pins.

Keith.

HI,
I do not see any problem in soldering. If the PCB and solder quality is fine.

yes it can be done, I have soldered a Spartan20XLVQ100 (0.5mm) and a MAXII EPM240T100 (0.5mm) with liquid flux and a weller soldering iron (simple tip) using drag solder.

see my images

and

It can only be done with a flux (I use kester liquid flux) because it creates high surface tension that keeps the solder on the tip leaving only a small amount on the pin.
Professional Surface Mount Soldering - How To: QFP 64 (Drag Solder) - YouTube

Alex

I'm impressed! I find it difficult enough with a professionally made PCB!

Keith.

Yes you right, but home made PCB is not defined of what quality and without solder resist. I prepare the PCBs myself with professional quality so I assume same from him.

what is a solder resist?

I think he means solder mask. (That's what we call it in the US, anyway). It's a layer of lacquer surrounding solder pads that keeps solder from flowing to adjacent pads. (Unless you're a crappy solderer like me and get solder everywhere anyhow).

No, I mean solder resist (in the UK anyway). The translation for Eagle from German comes out as 'solder stop'.

Keith

Another trick is to solder all the pins as described with a good flux. Some people even intentionally make solder bridges with excess. I don't. Then use solder wick to s u c k up excess solder. Enough is left under the pins for conduction.

John

s u c k is edited out here.

s u c k is edited out here.

I ran into that same problem. That s*u*c*k*s. :)

It happens to be a very useful word, especially when talking about solder and de-soldering vacuum pumps. Protecting us from ourselves.

---We have met the enemy and he is us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back