Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to put AREA_GROUP constraint for hierarchical modules in UCF file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdarvishi

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have a design that has some modules in a top file. Each module individually has some internal sub-modules. When I am trying to put the AREA_GROUP constraint for the sub-modules intended in those modules, it seems that the ISE does not recognize them and I receive the folowing error message. Can anybody help me whether it is possible to solve this problem or I will have to exclude the hierarchical design and put all the sub-modules either in the TOP file??

Any kind assistance and help is cordially appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Code:
------
ERROR:ConstraintSystem:59 - Constraint <module_1" AREA_GROUP =CIRCUIT1;>
[sources/top.ucf(31)]: INST "module_1" not found. Please verify that:
1. The specified design element actually exists in the original design.
2. The specified object is spelled correctly in the constraint source file.

It looks like you didn't put the entire hierarchical name, just module_1, which is only one level of hierarchy.

Try *module_1 or some variation that includes the sub-module residing at the top level of the design.

It looks like you didn't put the entire hierarchical name, just module_1, which is only one level of hierarchy.

Try *module_1 or some variation that includes the sub-module residing at the top level of the design.

Dear @ads-ee
Problem got solved with your hint !! thanks a lot :)

IIRC, you can also use xcf constraints to do something like this.

Using wildcards for constraints is one of the most absurd things in FPGA development. It works (probably) and is commonly done, but is terrifying.

You just have no idea if the constraints matched what you wanted. They could match some of the things, or match bonus things. That all said, I also used this method because it is effective.

As a result, I would only look into xcf if you have extra time. Not just because you've solved your problem, but also because xcf doesn't exist in vivado -- there is a good chance you'll never use it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back