Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to make PIC16f877 to have DMA features?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnz

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PIC and DMA Controller

Hi,

May I know is it possible to make PIC16f877 to have DMA features? Are there availabe references? Thank you.

Re: PIC and DMA Controller

You cannot "make" the PIC16F877 have DMA features. That would have to be built into the IC by the manufacturer.

What do you want to use this feature for?

The PIC16F877 does, however, have a parallel slave port, which allows you a connection to another device, which can read/ write. It is not DMA, but perhaps you can use this feature. Basically, when the external device writes to the port you get an interrupt and in the ISR you move the data to the memory.
A similar thing can be done for reads out of the slave port.

PIC and DMA Controller

maybe you could tell us what you are trying to accomplish...

There are a number of micros that have DMA in some form. The Z8s have it and a number of the Renesas ones do as well. I used a renesas 16C32 to dma from memory to an internal DAC for digital waveform synthesis. Worked ok.

I'm not sure if ANY of the 8 bit micros from Microchip have DMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back