Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Is AC Voltage to XP Power Supply exceeding crimp voltage rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinyCircuit

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys,

A simple question. I'm looking at using a very small power supply (5V/1A ) made by XP Power which is available here at Newark. (**broken link removed**).

The datasheet indicates that the following mating connectors and crimps be used.

AC Power Connector: JST PHR-3
DC Power Connector: JST PHR-2
Crimps: SPH-002T-P0.5S

The datasheets for all these components are found in one datasheet here.

I noticed, however, that the current rating is 100V AC/DC.

However, since my input will be 120VAC into the PSU, isn't the crimp/header AC voltage rating exceeded?

Am I missing something? Thanks for the help.

I believe the datasheet specifies JST XHP-3 as the AC mating connector (very bottom of the last page). This one is rated 250VAC nominal so it is fine.

I believe the datasheet specifies JST XHP-3 as the AC mating connector (very bottom of the last page). This one is rated 250VAC nominal so it is fine.

The model I'm selecting, ECL05US05-T, is on the 2nd page of the XP Power Supply datasheet. At the bottom of that page it indicates the mating connectors and crimp listed in my first post.

It seems strange to me that the XP Power would violate a voltage rating for these components. Something doesn't add up.

Am I missing something? Again thanks for your help.

I got an email back from technical support from XP Power.

The 100 VAC rating refers to the maximum voltage rating between two adjacent pins. Since the AC Connector is a 3 pin connector but the middle pin is removed, the rating is not exceeded.

The datasheet however, doesn't explicitly make this clear, which was why I was confused.

Hope this helps someone else who runs into this scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back