Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR remote interence with other remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

suryakant

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am developing one IR Remote (RC5) based application. How do I ensure that my sub-address does not clash with any other remote (like TV, Music system, laptop, AC etc.) ?

From net, i came to know that, few sub-addresses are reserved.. can I use them? or are there special sub-addresses which are to be used for customized applications?

Thanks all.

You posted in a hobby forum. Is your application only for your own personal use? Or are you developing a product for sale?

If you are developing just for your use, I would suggest choosing a sub-address of a device you do not own and are unlikely to encounter.

If you are developing for sale, then you really need to contact Philips and discuss licensing their protocol and getting an assigned sub-address from them. Otherwise, you will risk legal actions later.

Using a reserved sub-address without knowing why it was reserved is risky. If it was reserved for future expansion, then using it will not cause problems. At least, it will not cause problems until the future expansion takes place. We all are mislead into thinking the net has all the latest info. In fact, many websites contain very old info. The sub-addresses may have been reserved at the time the website posted the info, but are now in use. If it was reserved because it accesses some special modes in some equipment, then its use can have very unpredictable results.

suryakant

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back