Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR intensity sensor recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneakarcher

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sensor recommendation

Hi,

I need a sensor that measures IR intensity. I am working on a target seeking robot. A beacon that emits IR will be the target, and a sensor mounted on robot should measure the distance (might not accurate) between robot and target/beacon using the intensity of the IR.

If there's any receiver alone or emitter/receiver pair, or a module as such (expensive or not), kindly let me know.

Ideally range should be large, but I can cope with smaller range.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Re: sensor recommendation

sneakarcher said:
A beacon that emits IR will be the target, and a sensor mounted on robot should measure the distance (might not accurate) between robot and target/beacon using the intensity of the IR.
[...]
The subject of estimating distance from the intensity of reflected IR comes up once ever so often on this forum. In a general, estimating distance from intensity of reflected light is not a working strategy. May be there is something about your target or rules of the game which may make this strategy work. May be there is not.

Re: sensor recommendation

kender said:
sneakarcher said:
A beacon that emits IR will be the target, and a sensor mounted on robot should measure the distance (might not accurate) between robot and target/beacon using the intensity of the IR.
[...]
The subject of estimating distance from the intensity of reflected IR comes up once ever so often on this forum. In a general, estimating distance from intensity of reflected light is not a working strategy. May be there is something about your target or rules of the game which may make this strategy work. May be there is not.

I understand your point. But actually my problem is a bit different. Its not the reflected light with the obstacle, its the direct IR from another source in the line of sight. I have seen sensors which can tell direction of IR emitter from quite a distance (more than 8 feet). That's why I thought there might be some IR receiver i could use by estimating from intensity somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back