Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IQ (quadrature signals) Signal-To-Noise Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

NirAlon

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I have a question regarding SNR measurement when using IQ Modulation:

In my design, I'm using a IQ Demodulator + IQ Modem.

The modulation type is 4QAM, at 4.8k/symbols. The receiver noise figure is 4dB, and the modem SNR requirement is 4dB in order to achieve a PER of 1%

The RX Bandwidth of 4QAM, 4.8K/symbols is 4.8KHz

The expected RX sensitivity is:

RX(sns) = -174dBm/Hz + 10log(RX-BW) + NF +SNR ==> -174 + 10log4800 + 4 + 4 = -129dBm

The actual sensitivity that I'm getting is somewhere between -126, -127dBm...

I started searching for the missing 2dB.

The first thing I checked is the SNR performance of my RF chain.

At -129dBm, I'm measuring 5dB SNR at the "I" or "Q" inputs of the modem, which seems OK, but the modem's I and Q inputs actually have a bandwidth of 2.4KHz each, not 4.8KHz...

If the "system SNR" requirement is 4dB, The "I" or "Q" inputs should have 4+3dB of SNR? (because of the half RX-BW?)

Thanks guys,

Nir

Last edited:

are you filtering out, with a physcal rf bandpass filter, the "image noise" in the downconversion of the receiver?

Hi
Yes, I use a crystal filter that connected right before IQ Demodulator. The filter bandwidth is +/-3.75KHz (the total IF bandwidth is 4.8KHz)

In my design, I'm using a IQ Demodulator + IQ Modem.
You'll have to explain your measurement setup more clearly. Is it RF synthesizer > RF LNA > IQ demod (RF to IF) > IQ Modem (IF to RF) > Spectrum analyzer? Are you using an IF or is this direct conversion? How are you measuring sensitivity?

If you're using a quadrature detector properly, an image rejection filter before the demodulator should not be necessary.

You'll have to explain your measurement setup more clearly. Is it RF synthesizer > RF LNA > IQ demod (RF to IF) > IQ Modem (IF to RF) > Spectrum analyzer? Are you using an IF or is this direct conversion? How are you measuring sensitivity?

If you're using a quadrature detector properly, an image rejection filter before the demodulator should not be necessary.

My first set up is the IF chain alone, later on I plan to test the entire RX chain (BPF>LNA>BPF>Downdonverting mixer>BPF>AMP>IQ Demod>Modem)

Here is my current setup:

Diagram1.jpg

Thanks

Nir

- - - Updated - - -

In order to measure the SNR, I'm injecting a CW at the center frequency with 1KHz offset, which generate a 1KHz tone at the output I or Q.
The tone is then measured in the SNR meter

What is your "SNR meter" in this case? And how are you defining SNR/sensitivity?

There's a lot going on which could impact SNR which isn't accounted for in your sensitivity calculation. Filter attenuation, demodulator/modem noise figure, etc.

Ideally the SNR of the combined IQ signal should be 3dB above either the I or Q signals alone, assuming good image rejection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back