Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inverting opamp compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

pona

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to simulate a circuit in ORCAD including basic inverting operational amplifier whose gain is 250 and input is 10mV. The opamp used is LM124. The output should be -2.5V but when I simulate it the output is -167.68mV. I have also used a compensation circuit consisting of a resistor whose value is parallel combination of R1 and Rf. But the result is not much different. What can be the possible reason?

What kind of supply? Single or double?

Single supply of 20V

Single supply of 20V
If you are using single supply of 20 V i.e. +20V - gnd , then you cannot get output lower then 0V.
Use supply of +10 to -10 V

Last edited:

yes now it gives correct output. Whats the reason behind using dual supply?

Just imagine that the output of op-amp should provide negative voltages(let us say -5volts) for positive input voltages but the supply voltages are (20,0). The output voltage must be in the supply rail range.

The reason is simply: Design. (Think, for example, of a simple npn amplifying stage that needs a positive supply voltage.)
The opamp is designed for split supply operation. That means: Without any additional bias circuitry the dc output voltage (quiescent point) is at 0 volts and, thus, it can swing to positive and negative values.

okay thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.