Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

interfacing SCSI HDD with microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanif

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,

i am interested in interfacing a scsi HDD with a micro controller (8051,cygnal) in order to develop a standalone data logger. can any one help me in this matter.

regards

thank you for your help, it seems to be a good alternate solution,but the task which have been assigned to me is specific to direct interfacing of SCSI devices with micro controller(PIC,ATMEL, SIGNAAL etc) with out using SCSI host adapter/controller (bridging between SCSI device and PC). waiting for reply.

Regards

As far I understand, you need to work on two parts here. The first is the physical interface itself and then emulating the SCSI HBA in the software.

Though it is a pretty difficult task, it's not impossible. However, considering the complexity of the issues involved, I would also suggest emulating a SCSI interface in the software while working on a bunch of SD cards under the hood. In other words, any SCSI command that arrives, instead of working on the SCSI stuff, translate it into the SD card operations.
Having a bunch of SD cards, say 8 cards, each storing a bit of a given byte in parallel, definitely improves your performance.

However, the whole solution works only if your input is SCSI commands and you can deal with the underlying stuff. If you have a bunch of SCSI peripherals to be talked to, I guess you have to take the hard way. Try referring to some books on SCSI interfaces, first on the physical layer and then the SCSI command set, in that case.

I have find out IDE HDD interfacing with 8051 as well as PIC. so i thought that interfacing with SCSI is simply connecting the SCSI connector with Mcu ports, writing PC SCSI driver into Mcu. the Mcu then send receive SCSI commands to the HDD. if some one correct and help me in this matter i will appreciate it.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.