Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing large memory with microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

samic45mit1

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to interface winbond W25M512JV IC with TMS320 series microcontroller. I want to know that any file system like think is required (like in SD card) to interface such a large capacity IC ??. Or any special way to manage data on this IC??

Thank's

Hi,

I don't want to search the internet fio your datasheets....
But a file system usually has nothing to do with memory size.

Klaus

Hi,

It is no EEPROM, it is a FLASH. The main difference for you may be that it can't be deleted bytewise, but sector wise = 4kbytes.
What do you mean with "manage"?
Does it need to be readable by other operating systems?
What data do you have to store? Filesize, number of files, file system hierarchy? Why? What filenames? Do you need some error detection? Like incomplete writes due to power losss..
You store the data .., thus I assume you need to transer it to somewhere....what is this? what interface?

Klaus

Yes, it can be used the same way as SD Card with 4k sector size with any kind of file system. You only need to connect low level functions for file system sources with your SPI interface connected to memory IC.

Thanks ,

I have to store data periodically in flash. 20 byte in every 5 minute interval. And I am connecting it with micro controller which have no OS. To manage operation of reading writing, I should no last location to be written. I have to transfer data form it to PEN DRIVE when ever user connect it with micro controller. And Sorry my IC part no is W25Q256JVFIQ.

So can you give hint how to write such code.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

20 bytes every 5 minutes.. into a 256MBit flash...means about 16 years of data...
interfaces will change in 16 years...but that´s another story.

Is there a timestamp in these 20 bytes? If not, all the recorded data may become invalid after a power down, because you loose relation to time... again another story.

Some thoughts.
256 MBits means 32 MBytes means 25 address lines.
20 bytes every 5 minutes, this is 240 bytes every hour. This is close to 256 Bytes. (you could use the remaining 16 bytes for timestamp and / or checksum)
Then you have space for 2^17 = 131072 (hourly) datasets

One problem is wear out of Flash cells. I don´t know if your memory includes some wear out protection...
To avoid wear out I´d avoid to write the "pointer to the next free dataset" to the flash. Use the EEPROM in the microcontroller for this. Or don´t safe it at all.
- With sequential writing to the flash you could use a binary search for the last written dataset, it takes just 17 iterations.
I recommend to insert a "power fail" dataset, indicate it with the first byte of a dataset.

All in all not a big task.
But it mainly depends on your requirements / specifications.
From your posts I assume you didn´t write down your requiremetns yet. Structure of your dataset, when to write them, do you need different datsets (power fail), how to handle problems like power fail, how to read data, how to find datasets, ....
This all you need to decide first

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.