Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

interfacing Flash Card,(urgent!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinayby

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
my proj. requires interfacing a FLASH CARD (say SDcard )..to PC.
for --> mounting it. formatting it with a fs. then.. workin with it..

-> a usb flash drive is registered as a SCSI device under
usb-storage class and then i can mount it as /dev/sda1.

NOW, if i only have a flash card, with Serial P. Interface.(no USB)

is there any facilty in the linux kernel to get this(connected thru serial
port) registered as a block device.. i mean just to be able to mount
it ,format it etc..

OR does someone know any better way/(some connector maybe) to introduce the SPI interface as a USB/pcmcia/pc card or any thing..

... Thank you.

I'm not sure if I understand your question.
I'm not aware of any SDcard readers with a serial interface intended for use with a PC. There is **broken link removed** but that's intended to make it easy to use an SD card with a microcontroller.

I'm not aware of the existance of flash memory cards with an RS232 interface either.

It may help if you give links to pages about a paticular card or reader that you wish to use.

If you have a paticular card or reader you want to use with linux I suggest using google to search for "manufacturer model linux" and similar querys.

Added after 25 minutes:

Ok, I now realise you are talking about the SPI interface on an SDcard which is a syncronous serial interface using a clock provided by the host. It is not directly compatible with RS232 PC serial ports.

In theory it could be done with a level shifter circuit by bit-banging the SPI interface using the serial port handshaking lines to drive the SPI clock and shift data in or out one bit at a time.
This would be a rarther slow way to transfer megabytes of data and not worth anyone spending the time to develop.

Why not just buy a USB card reader?

hi,
yeah u got me ryt.. in ur later edit..

oh i didnt know SPI isn't directly compatible with PC serialport.. ( u saved me from lot of frustastion :) )

USB reader... yeah.. but i need to interface with PC just to _write_ to FLASH.. format it.. etc.. the rest of the thing i'll do with a uC.

>> heard of some connector from digikeys or something ,just now... will it help?
>> what is the best way u suggest...ORi can DITCH SD card if it doesnt suit this..
can u plz suggest some FLASH card.. (with USB controller..) or anything which
has an interface other than SPI for interfacing to a PC....

how about it later?
which i/o port did you choose?
what chip did you adopt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back