Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interesting story from my past concerning microwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatulent

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Interesting story

It is important to know of the history of your profession. Here is an interesting microwave story from my past.

Many years ago, I was blessed with the opportunity to work with Dr. Langmuir, the son of the famous scientist who derived and measured the famous 3/2 power law of voltage-current in valves (US=tubes). Dr. Langmuir, in his early days worked at the famous MIT RADLAB during the 1939-1945 war in the high power microwave generation area. During one of their experiments, the fed the high microwave power to a horn antenna on the building roof which was pointed vertically. In order to keep the experiment secret, they placed a black cloth over the horn. The cloth was black because of the carbon content. The cloth caught fire which spread to the roof material. The fire brigade arrived with horns and sirens at full volume and flashing lights. This drew more attention to the experiment than had they avoided the black cloth.

I invite other board members to describe similar stories of the past.

Interesting story

Very Nice

Re: Interesting story

it is really interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back