Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interaction Device Driver and Kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigma|Six

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a question that I can't really have a strong answer to convince myself.

Question:
1. Is Device Driver a Subset of Kernel ? or both are sitting in the same hierarchy ?

2. When Developing a Board Support Package for a new board, how's the kernel going to affect the device driver?

3. Why is a Linux BSP Device Drivers not compatible with VxWorks BSP Device Drivers?

4. Says I mount a USB Thumb Drive to a Embedded Linux Based System, how's is the embedded software's execution flow?

Please help the confused one.

1. Is Device Driver a Subset of Kernel ? or both are sitting in the same hierarchy ?

This depends on the kernel but most drivers sit on a higher abstraction level than the core kernel.

When Developing a Board Support Package for a new board, how's the kernel going to affect the device driver?

The kernel will define it's interface to the driver. As the driver just abstracts between the hardware and the kernel the kernel interface is a major factor in driver design.

Why is a Linux BSP Device Drivers not compatible with VxWorks BSP Device Drivers?

Because of the different kernel interfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back