Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

intelligent solar battery charger using PIC16F877A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spygen71

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i need help for designing the circuit. input is my solar and output is my battery charger. the objectives are to charge the battery and to monitor the load voltage of the battery charger. Can i just simply connect the solar and the battery charger to the PIC16F877A?. and is the battery charger input or output?

Please help me..

Answer:
Generally NO.

First of all you have to give us more detail, PIC16F works on 5V (I suppose), battery voltage is ?!?, Solar panel caracteristics are ?!?!

Generally solar panel gives more voltages and more current than you need in case of really strong son, so you have to make circuit to limit those values....

I have one application where are solar panel an battery 100Ah. There is only voltage limiter between solar panel and battery, because battery is very big, and panel can give ~500mA max so current dont have to be limited....

Give more details, and get more precise answer!

Mr.Cube

If you got that then do past it here please......
Regards,
Jerin.

PIC16F877A can handle 4-20mA current, you have to convert the current into voltage by means of resistors and feed it to the micro-controller adc port and read the voltage, then multiply that voltage with a factor which gives you the current value.

Dear babulu,
If you got the code & schematic then do post it in the forum mate please......
Regards,
Jerin.

Dear Spygen71
Generally when you need to monitor any signal using pic or any other controller you are limited with the maximum operating voltage and current for the Chip you are using . in your case
you'll need 2 analogue channels (found in many pic families) one for the battery monitoring and one for the solar panel (in order to target the panel to the maximum sun light if you got a motorized panel) so for example if we have 12 volt battery and we need to know its voltage so in this case 12volt battery will not be suitable for the pic we are using because pic maximum operating voltage is 5 volts so what about voltage divider circuit with couple of resistors series in order to force the incoming signal to be in the pic range and at the same time the incoming signal is relative to the main 12volt signal and the output of the resistors is seris with an voltage follower opamp conected directly to the analoge channel.

recommendations:
google "Voltage dividers, and check the equations),
google "Batteries Types" and give attention for the difference between them
google "Batteries Charging.

Good Luck

-------------------------------
Science Is An Option

Status
Not open for further replies.