Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Intel Chipsets: a decent block diagram somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vek.m1234

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, recently I've been trying to pick a suitable motherboard for my processor and separate the hype from the facts. In this regard I decided to take a look at the Intel chipset documentation so as to understand the technology better.
I downloaded this: 8-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-decrypt.pdf
and the block diagram listed in that was roughly this:
**broken link removed**

I don't understand where those blocks are located? After all what is a "Intel High Definition Audio" block?
8-series-datasheet also says:
"The Intel High Definition Audio controller resides in PCI Device 27, Function 0 on bus 0. This function contains a set of DMA engines that are used to move samples of digitally encoded data between system memory and external codecs."

Bu the block diagram made no mention of a audio controller! Is it part of the PCH - people have told me that the 'controller' lies within the PCH (Chipset C2xx).

I looked at some motherboard documentation which identified the audio 'codec/DAC/AD' as a ALC892.
So i then downloaded the datasheet for that and found an excellent block diagram that explains everything. It explains what the chip can and cannot do so i can understand why my motherboard has 7.1 channels and I also know that there are two additional channels that are possibly not being used.

My question is:
Where can i find a decent block diagram for the chip-sets Intel sells? There is a lot of nitty-gritty information in that datasheet, but I'm not interested in that degree of detail since I won't be writing my own application.

Could someone help?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.