Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

industrial microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

microlab

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
industrial unwanted signals

hai all

which microcontroller will you suggest for industrial mapplications?
PIC/AVR/8051?
my idea is to make a universal timer for industril usage
so i should concider the worst surrounding conditions.
what additional components should i add to my schematics to overcome all those unwanted inputs from the industrial atmosphere?

ml

industrial microcontroller board

Hello!
Now I'm working with controller for metal-rolling plant. So the problem of EMS is actual for me.
I prefer 5V AVR MCUs - they never let me down even when working in big EMIs.
But for metal-rolling plant I prepare two solutions - one on AVR MCU and the second on TMS470 ARM MCU (this MCU is high-rel industrial standard)

All are suitable. I say this as I have seen all three on one board in an industrial application. As such, you should consider the options and weigh in preference to what you are more familiar with- as with any application.

The only part that I might add is that some microcontrollers (not many, and I don't remember which) can only output two or three mA. Avoid these. In a noisy environment you will want a higher current output available- that extra dozen or so mA can make a difference.

8051 pins can provide only 1-2mA...

i test 8051 at industrial media befor for 5+ years
do you know that a simens S5 PLC working with 8051 and too many industrial boards i found a 8051 with it
thanks

abbas1707 said:
8051 pins can provide only 1-2mA...

This information is not valid - at least in general -, because '51 chips can be 10mA or even more (for example Cygnals or Philips LP9xx families).
From my personal experiences I would not use AVR, because I can not accept its behaviour on pins (but core itself seems fine to me). Also I could not recommend to use some Atmel's chips from '51 family. Nowadays, I have started to use some Freescale HCS08 chips (mainly because of its price) and very probably I am going to "fall in love with them".

I would not like to start any flamewar, but from my experiences 89C2051 chips fall in troubles, when they are hold in reset for prolonged time period, *S55 chips have been completely unusable from EMC point of view, and *55WD behaves very strange on its pins, during power outage (if you use UART based communication you have been warned).
Not to be pesimistic one about '51 chips, their ED2 chips seems to work flawlesly till now for me. (But if you do not have old design based on DIL40 footprint, there is no reason to stay with Atmel and I would recommend Cygnals or Philips.)

Jan

I think all of MCU can use in industry, it up to your circuit designed, such as power supply to MCU, filter circuit, safety...

hai all

thank you for the reply
when we are discussing something about universal
it should work with almost all conditions
in our case if you are designing a timer for a lab
it's very easy.because the power will be always stabilized,will be equipped with air conditioners.almost no chance of EMI or any other irregularities.
if we are going tom use the same system inside the factory,it will start failing.
any motor can start/stop at anythime. temperature,humidity or even the power supply may be not stabilized.and if we are designing some thing universal,the system should work inside the lab and the factory,without any trouble.what's the possible way to filter all these unwanted things?

ml

Hai

My experience if you use 8051 then you have to filter all EMI.

I prefer AVR

even the power supply may be not stabilized.

You please note this one. No microcontroller capable of running at unstabilised or badly designed power source.

regards
Nandhu

consider monitor the +5vdc power supply to micro

you may try a micro monitor/watchdog timer IC

if system receives EMI or brown out at least the 8051 will recover automatically

maxim makes several types **broken link removed** (DS1232 ?)

many many other types also

hugo

You should be set function of the project ,if your project has little function such as your project in a universal timer .
PIC microcontroller which you should be prefer for this project.

--Favorites Today--
**broken link removed**

jan noha, can you please tell me more about the "behaviour on pins"?

slhugo, I'm not sure I follow all of your implications. Most of the uCs I've looked at have BOR capability. I like being able to disable it to run on lower voltages, but that is another issue. How does the 8051 (and by which manufacturer) know if it is subject to EMI?

ldanielrosa said:
jan noha, can you please tell me more about the "behaviour on pins"?
Maybe simple question can give you an answer. Are you able calculate delay between code execution and real change on target pin for AVR processor? I am able to do it only in a very few moments, not in general.
Maybe it s my fault, maybe it is a pure AVR feature. But nowadays I can imagine myself to use AVR as a datalogger, Linux box, etc., but not as a waveform generator inside a control system.

hai all

this discussion is becoming more informative.
the timer project is only an example to discuss the problem.
the main aim is that to findout the major unwanted signals
in an industrial premise and to find a solution for the same.
it may be possible with all microcontrollers.some of them required
additional components to take care of the unwanted signals.
assume that we are connecting the system inside the factory.
any motor can start/stop at anytime.presence of stray charges,EMI
or any other such unwanted signals can occur at any point of time.
the point is that how we can overcome the same.if we list out all those signals,we can solve the same one by one.the same solution can be applied to every systems
which is to be used in industries.

thanking you

ml

i suggest mtorolla mcu

ideal for industrial application and noise

Added after 1 minutes:

i suggest mtorolla mcu

68hc05j1a

68hc05c8a

68hc05b16

Status
Not open for further replies.