Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

INductor selection for a buck convertor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanker1

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am working on a constant current control driver which outputs 1A of current. The inductor value for this design came out to be 25uH. Since i couldn't find an inductor 25uh with an Isat of 1.5 an above. I was wondering how high/ smaller i could go on inductance making sure that the current rating is high enough.

please advice

Dear spanker
Hi
As i understood you have a buck converter , with 1 A out put . right ? so what is your problem exactly ? can you tell me a bit more explanation , please ? thus i can help you .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Dear spanker
Hi
As i understood you have a buck converter , with 1 A out put . right ? so what is your problem exactly ? can you tell me a bit more explanation , please ? thus i can help you .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Sure,

I am using NCL30160 controller chip from ON semi. We are currently driving our LED's at .5A using a 33uH. My boss wants me these LED's at 1A. Based on the Duty cycle and the switching frequency the inductance value came out to be 25.0uH for pulling 1A. I had a hard time finding an inductor with 25uH with an Isat of over 1.5-2A. So i don't know how much lower/ higher in inductance you could go?.. U think i could use an inductance value of 22uH with an isat of 1.7 instead of using the 25uH.

I hope this helps

Thanks

Why you don't try to wind an inductor yourself ? it is pretty simple . however i can't see huge different between 22 u and 25 u .
Good luck
Goldsmith

Why you don't try to wind an inductor yourself ? it is pretty simple . however i can't see huge different between 22 u and 25 u .
Good luck
Goldsmith

What kind of difference are you talking about.?.. please enlighten me.. I was thinking of using an 18uH instead of the 22uH.

thanks

With a buck converter, higher inductance is generally better, as the ripple current will be lower for the same switching frequency.

Finding a suitable inductor shouldn't be too hard. I'd be more worried about running the NCL30160 controller chip at it's maximum rated current.

Status
Not open for further replies.