Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductor Design for DC-DC converters and SMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

manishanand14

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings Everyone!

Can someone please provide me some easy to understand theory documents and tips for designing SMPS and DC_DC converters.
I know that peak current,average current,ripple current etc. are important considerations.

I need some rule of thumb procedures.

Also I need to know the winding wire AWG selection for Inductors.

Regards.

Greetings Everyone!

Can someone please provide me some easy to understand theory documents and tips for designing SMPS and DC_DC converters.
I know that peak current,average current,ripple current etc. are important considerations.

I need some rule of thumb procedures.

Also I need to know the winding wire AWG selection for Inductors.

Regards.

You suppose to know your maximum output current - it defined your AWG for wires (take 10-20% spare)

Hi,
Is there a way we can calculate the inductance of a certain length of coil without using an LCR meter? A simple method would be preferred.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's one Document regarding the Design of Inductors under SMPC tab Capture.JPG..
**broken link removed**

Design of transformers and inductors

Please download this PDF.

Hope u found it helpful..:roll:

A fellow poster has an instructive thread about making coils to a particular spec:

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/229615/

------------------------------

I have Youtube videos showing animated simulations of three common switched-coil converters. It depicts current bundles travelling through wires to portray circuit interaction. It depicts graphically the changing coil emf and flux fields.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT_sLF5Etm4

----------------------

I have made interactive simulations of three converters, using Falstad's interactive simulator:

The link below will open the website www.falstad.com/circuit.
It will load my schematic, and run it on your computer.

Click the switches to cycle the converters. The coil is the center of action.

You can change values at will by right-clicking a component to bring up an edit window.

Status
Not open for further replies.