Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Increase LF antenna range

Status
Not open for further replies.

dharithothi

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My confusion is I have made LF antenna for 125KHz with inductance 850-900uH and 20Ohms. Antenna terminals are directly connected Module which provides frequency.

My confusion is can I increase range of LF antenna by with decreasing Resistance??? Without making change in Inductance???

More information needed. I guess your "antenna" is a RFID reader coil. To extent the range, the coil current must be increased. Reducing the coil resistance should basically work in this direction, but the effect depends on the transmitter circuit.

Hello FVM,

Yes, you are correct. I am making RFID LF antenna for 125KHz. I have made coil antenna in square shape. Its size is 35mmX25mm. Its with 900uH inductance and 21Ohm resistance. Once I tried with increasing antenna dimensions with same Inductance(900uH) and resistance(21Ohms). At that time I have good range. How does size of antenna affects in range detection?

The field strength of a reader coil decays fast beyond a certain distance, e.g. > 1d. You need to increase the coil size to achieve a larger read distance. At the same time, you'll usually increase the reader output voltage or modify the coil matching to keep the field strength.

RFID standards have a specification of reader field strength range expected for correct operation. The field strength of simple coil geometries can be easily calculated or determined with magnetic simulation tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back