Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] in s domain is s a frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hassan Munir

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to solve for reactive component knowing a zero occurs at a particular frequency

So i have the following problem

How do i solve for a specific component given that the a zero occurs at a particular frequency

so the numerator of my Transfer function is "R3(sC2L1 +1)" and I am told that a zero occurs at 2.7 MHz

I know the values of R3 and C2, the only component I am missing is the inductance L1

my initial go at this was to set s=jw , w=2*pi*f , and set the above numerator to zero to solve for inductance however I get stuck here

L= -1/(jwC2) which doesn't make sense since inductance is not complex(I know reactance is) and it can't be negative.

So how I get solve for L1 using the information I know.

Please help

Last edited:

Are you sure about the transfer function ? The dimension of sC2L2 is pF; probably the correct expression is s^2C2L2 that is dimensionless (unless the "1" of sC2L2+1 is pF). If it is so:

-w^2*C2*L2+1 = 0 ==> L2=1/(w^2*C2)

Dear Hassan Munir
Hi
Has you problem any circuit ?
And what do you mean by "L= -1/(jwC2)" ??!
If you tell me a bit more explanation , perhaps i can help you .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Thank you albbg!

You are correct I actually missed the extra s in my calculation and now i got s^2 in the numerator

cheers,

s is in rad/s (angular frequency). The factors 1/(RC), R/L and 1/sqrt(LC) are also in rad/s. sqrt(L/C) is in ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.