Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

in 8051 we use port0 as I/O port or addressdata bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

logukalipal

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi..!

beginners voice: can we use port0 of 8051 as Input/Output port or AddressData port only?

If we can use both I/O port and AddrData port means, how i use?

Port 0: Port 0 occupies a total of 8 pins (pins 32-39) .It can be used for input or output. To use the pins of port 0 as both input and output ports, each pin must be connected externally to a 10K ohm pull-up resistor. This is due to the fact that P0 is an open drain, unlike P1, P2, and P3.Open drain is a term used for MOS chips in the same way that open collector is used for TTL chips. With external pull-up resistors connected upon reset, port 0 is configured as an output port. For example, the following code will continuously send out to port 0 the alternating values 55H and AAH

**broken link removed**

Dual role of port 0: Port 0 is also designated as AD0-AD7, allowing it to be used for both address and data. When connecting an 8051/31 to an external memory, port 0 provides both address and data. The 8051 multiplexes address and data through port 0 to save pins. ALE indicates if P0 has address or data. When ALE = 0, it provides data D0-D7, but when ALE =1 it has address and data with the help of a 74LS373 latch.

Thanks a lot...
Now my question is, In 8051 can i use port0 as both I/O and Addressdata port using any method?

(i.e)Now i interfaced the external memory so am used port0 as addr data port using latch. now i need a I/O port, so i ask using any technic we use the same port0 as I/O port?

[OR]
We use only port0 as In/Out port else Addressdata port?

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

**broken link removed**
learn from here

Read this free online book :

book_cover.gif

Architecture and programming of 8051 MCU's
Author: Milan Verle
https://www.mikroe.com/products/view/267/architecture-and-programming-of-8051-mcu-s/

Specially this chapter :

2.3 Input/Output Ports (I/O Ports)

:wink:

Thanks a lot..

Ans is:

Port-0 can be configured as a normal bidirectional I/O port or it can be used for address/data interfacing for accessing external memory. When control is '1', the port is used for address/data interfacing. When the control is '0', the port can be used as a normal bidirectional I/O port.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks a lot..

Ans is:

Port-0 can be configured as a normal bidirectional I/O port or it can be used for address/data interfacing for accessing external memory. When control is '1', the port is used for address/data interfacing. When the control is '0', the port can be used as a normal bidirectional I/O port.

Status
Not open for further replies.