Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Importance of Use of RTOS on Controller's

Status
Not open for further replies.

embpic

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Master's
Usually if any task i have to do i do it simple by doing programming rather than using of Rtos and not necessory for simple task i think.But if i need to do little big projects which is little bit like OS like having menus and other options to set and clear likewise.But in those application i m not using RTOS. So, my question is,
Is there necessory to use of RTOS?
What are the importance of use of RTOS in apllication rather than simple coding?

If you have project where you need to run several tasks parallel then RTOS is good to use.

Every task has it own priority, so RTOS takes care what tasks to run more often. If you have one hardware which more tasks use then you must use some kind of traffic lights (similar to sharing in widows) to be sure that only one task can use that hardware in one time...

Theoretically you can do it by yourself, but it is much easier to use RTOS (where everything is already done).

Mr.Cube

thank you sir i am using keil compiler and p89v51rd2 controller so which RTOS will work.
and which rtos will easy to implement.

I wanted it to use with PIC18f4550 ?
My Question is how to getting started with RTOS using PIC / AVR Microcontroller
Please guide me !!

Two of the best texts covering embedded systems RTOS/Scheduler design are the following:

An Embedded Software Primer

Patterns for Time-Triggered Embedded Systems

However, Michael Pont's text, Patterns for Time-Triggered Embedded Systems has been out-of-print for several years and even used copies can bring a small fortune, fortunately Michael Pont has graciously decided to make the text available in PDF format free of charge:

Patterns for Time-Triggered Embedded Systems Download Page

At over a thousand pages, text is a comprehensive reference covering many aspects of embedded system design, with over half of the text dedicated to RTOS/Scheduler design. The text contains all the necessary information to "roll your own" RTOS or scheduler. While originally written for 8051 variants, the example code can and has been ported to virtually any microcontroller, including but not limited to AVR, ARM, NIOS, PIC, etc.

Manish Shakya - PTTES Ports

Michael Pont also has released numerous videos on the topic and are available on YouTube.

BigDog

Reactions: embRTS

embRTS

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.