Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Implementation using DSP and FPGA in a CDMA project

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng.

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
CDMA

i am working on a cdma project and i want to compare between
the implementation using dsp(TMS320C6711 DSP Starter Kit)
and fpga (Spartan3 Starter Kit),what is the max. bit rate that a
TMS320c6711 can support?(i am a beginner)

thanks in advance

Re: CDMA

Hi,
I have worked on FPGA and ADSP on the cdma technologies. An FPGA can support a significantly higher data rate than the DSP for obvious reasons. I know of an implementation on a TI processor that supported 19.6kBps. So I expect double that can be done now frow what was possible 2 years back.

However I would have preferred an FPGA solution.

B R M

have anyone working in cdma asic chip design

if yes which architecture is best for low power

I have worked on FPGA and ADSP on the cdma technologies. An FPGA can support a significantly higher data rate than the DSP for obvious reasons. I know of an implementation on a TI processor that supported 19.6kBps.

@eng

well if u are to use Spartan starter kit for implementation …u must make sure how many gates it has..It depends XC3S200 has 2 million gates and .this means u cant implement a virtebi decoder on it which takes 37.8% space of XC3S1000(10 Million gates).Similarly a single channel 64 tap FIR filter takes 3% on XC3S1000.This means we have to plan in advance how many filters we are going to use..the starter kit has....I have a document over it which tells more stats like these.im putting it in the links section...

My question for eng. Is. Do u think ur spartan3 kit is enough for CDMA?Im asking u because Im myself working over it but I have a XC3S200 and im thinking of purchasing something with a lot more space like xc3s1000..What model are u using..

CDMA

designing CDMA is a complex process, about IF and baseband you can use FPGA and DSP to implement it, meanwhile you can recur to several special chips.
they can simplify your design.

CDMA

Dear eng. I'm wondering if you can define your problem completely. Do you want to have just CDMA coding? or a complete communication system based on CDMA? ( such as one of the available standards like CDMA2000? ) I think that the difference is too high.
do you have modulation / demodulation circuits?
do you have pulse shaping?
do you use a channel equalizer?
these are important.

The chip level processing(despreading) usually needs FPGA or ASIC. After despreading, the symbol processing(Rake receiver, Viterbi/Turbo decoder. speech codec) could be implemented in DSP. What is your reference system? 3GPP2 CDMA or W-CDMA, mobile or base station receiver? The CDMA system implementation involves a lot people efforts and it should be a big project.

FYI, the 72kB of internal program memory of the TMS320C6711 processor is structured so that a total of 8 instructions can be fetched every clock cycle. Eg. with a clock rate of 200MHz, the TMS320C6711 is capable of fetching 8 32-bit instructions every 1/(200) seconds.

spweda, the system is CDMA as mentioned in the earlier post!

[/Dear eng. I'm wondering if you can define your problem completely. Do you want to have just CDMA coding? or a complete communication system based on CDMA? ( such as one of the available standards like CDMA2000? ) I think that the difference is too high.
do you have modulation / demodulation circuits?
do you have pulse shaping?
do you use a channel equalizer?
these are important.]

i have a cdma modulated digital signal i want to transmitt it in rf do you have some solution

CDMA

I also want to implement cdma rake receiver on dsp but the stuff on it is too less for me to start working on it. I need help of you people.

thanks in advance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back