Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

implementation of software in FPGA, Xilinx

Status
Not open for further replies.

vortexsny

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm new to Digital Logic/Design.

I want to implement a small software piece written in Java in the hardware chip, using the Xilinx Spartan's board.

Anybody can point me in the direction of getting the right information about this topic. I don't even know what to search for. I ended up here. Are there particular example of people doing that?

thanks

vortexsny said:
I'm new to Digital Logic/Design.

I want to implement a small software piece written in Java in the hardware chip, using the Xilinx Spartan's board.

Anybody can point me in the direction of getting the right information about this topic. I don't even know what to search for. I ended up here. Are there particular example of people doing that?

thanks

You will need to design or get (easier) a microprocessor core and find a Java compiler for it's architecture.

Reading this article is a very good starting point :
**broken link removed**

Also read about System On a chip (AKA Systen On Chip) (SoC) and software hardware co-design

hi, you will need to compile the software in a fpga which supports processors, i think spartan supports soft processor called microblaze(not sure of it though). couple of other fpgas such as virtex-II, virtex-II pro and virtex-4 families support powerpc(hard IP) and microblaze(soft IP).

if you want to implement both software and hardware, you ll need a software called xilinx platform studio(XPS) which comes with Embedded development kit(EDK). If you want more information on this, visit this link.

**broken link removed**

Spartan 3 has Microblaze processor (32 bit). Also, you can insert 3rd party soft processors like ARM Cortex. You will required Xilinx Platform Studio to write soft code and make HW/SW design.

By the way, C/C++ is very easy to implement on FPGA but not sure about Java.

Xilinx has a java synthesis tool called "FORGE" .I don't know if is still supported. And what parts it generates code for .Look for forge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back