Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Impedannce matching ultrasonic transducer to generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineer1000

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If I try impedance matching the transformer with an ultrasonic transducer . The transducer is approx 20ohms ( set my manufacture) and set the turns ratio of the transformer to match. When a transducer is connected across it my output voltage goes from approx200V to 1000V (transducer ringing) , this seems to make the impednace matching calcs invalid.
So imedance matching doesn't seem to help.
Can someone please confirm my thoughts ?

Most ultrasonic transducers operate at resonance which makes them difficult to match. With a transistor power stage loaded with the transducer, as the voltage at resonance goes quite high, it is the safest way to use a switchable-ratio transformer, also tuned to resonance, for best results.
It was easier with vacuum-tube power stages- they have a high output impedance and are not damaged by overvoltage like transistors...
I used a 2N3055 transistor with a "pulse" transformer, ratio 1: 10approx. with 24 and 40 kHz transducers. THe optimum adjustment was done with another transducer connected to an oscilloscope. (I cannot hear so high :)) )

- - - Updated - - -

I refer to ceramic transducers. With magneto-striction ones I used several turns of heavy (2 mm dia.) copper wire, and discharged a 0.1 uF capacitor by a triggered spark-gap. The capacitor was charged to 5 kV. If you want to try...

Make sure that the impedance of the transducer is really 20 ohms and not 20 -j (some number). If it is really 20 ohms then replacing the transducer with a 20 ohm resistor on your transformer should give the same results.
Frank

One problem is to understand the electrical behaviour of a piezo transducer that exposes both a parallel and a series resonance. The below equivalent circuit shows the basic elements. It's very similar to a crystal, but with lower Q. All "mechanical" parameters are influenced by the transducer mounting.

Status
Not open for further replies.