Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic Pest Repellers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohammad_Pirzadi

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi dears.
I have received 4 used ultrasonic-based pest repellers which should be installed for repelling wild pigeons from an oil field. But I don't know they work or not! are they healthy or not?
my question is how to detect the wave comes from their speakers.
thanks.

View attachment 179452

I don't know they work or not! are they healthy or not?
I bought a cheap one years ago and put inside the space between upper and bottom roof; it worked for a short term and after a time the piggeon family came back, sleeping aside the speaker such as if it where not there - perhaps even enjoing the 'music'. In my sincere oppinion, doesn't work, at least for piegeons, but they warn that it indeed is harmfull at least for cats and dogs.

Ask in Google if an ultrasonic pest repeller works. Many tests say no. There are no tests that say yes. They were banned and the major seller was ordered to stop ads for their repeller that does not work.

Guess what? Some ultrasonic repellers do not produce any ultrasonic noises.

The thing is that since there is no way for a layperson to test whether it is emitting any form of sound, there is a lot of fake plastic crap floating about in the market which just don't do anything. (Like those Power Factor Correction Boxes)

And also, half the time, due to the placebo effect, we initially believe that it is working while it might be doing nothing and it was just probably just a slow day for the pests...!

IMO, there are some Sound Analyzer Apps for the PC/Phone which can be used to generate some amount of ultrasonic frequencies as well as check if they are present. So perhaps you can try them out to test.

I agree with what has been stated already but if you want a simple "go/no go" check, wire a small flashlight bulb across the speaker terminals. It doesn't care what the frequency is but it should give a glow if more than a small amount of power is being produced.

Brian.

In the Gulf of Mexico oilfields the problem is seagulls and brown pelicans. As Andre said they become accustomed to anything that’s tried. The unmanned platforms have foghorns on them which are deafening if your near them but the birds act as if there not even there. Someone had the idea of placing a plastic owl on top of the wells to scare them away. When they came back there was a seagull perched on top the owl and it was completely coated with there mess. Another technique was to mount these plastic spike strips to all the horizontal piping. In the end it wasn’t very effective.

hi dears.
I have received 4 used ultrasonic-based pest repellers which should be installed for repelling wild pigeons from an oil field. But I don't know they work or not! are they healthy or not?
my question is how to detect the wave comes from their speakers.
thanks.

View attachment 179452
This may interest you too:

I bought a cheap one years ago and put inside the space between upper and bottom roof; it worked for a short term and after a time the piggeon family came back, sleeping aside the speaker such as if it where not there - perhaps even enjoing the 'music'. In my sincere oppinion, doesn't work, at least for piegeons, but they warn that it indeed is harmfull at least for cats and dogs.

Ask in Google if an ultrasonic pest repeller works. Many tests say no. There are no tests that say yes. They were banned and the major seller was ordered to stop ads for their repeller that does not work.

Guess what? Some ultrasonic repellers do not produce any ultrasonic noises.

The thing is that since there is no way for a layperson to test whether it is emitting any form of sound, there is a lot of fake plastic crap floating about in the market which just don't do anything. (Like those Power Factor Correction Boxes)

And also, half the time, due to the placebo effect, we initially believe that it is working while it might be doing nothing and it was just probably just a slow day for the pests...!

IMO, there are some Sound Analyzer Apps for the PC/Phone which can be used to generate some amount of ultrasonic frequencies as well as check if they are present. So perhaps you can try them out to test.

I agree with what has been stated already but if you want a simple "go/no go" check, wire a small flashlight bulb across the speaker terminals. It doesn't care what the frequency is but it should give a glow if more than a small amount of power is being produced.

Brian.

In the Gulf of Mexico oilfields the problem is seagulls and brown pelicans. As Andre said they become accustomed to anything that’s tried. The unmanned platforms have foghorns on them which are deafening if your near them but the birds act as if there not even there. Someone had the idea of placing a plastic owl on top of the wells to scare them away. When they came back there was a seagull perched on top the owl and it was completely coated with there mess. Another technique was to mount these plastic spike strips to all the horizontal piping. In the end it wasn’t very effective.

Special thanks to all you dear experts for your valuable replies.

I agree with you. I think a Pest Repeller circuit does not compeletly satisfy the desired purposes. But a machanism must be used to repel out birds away from instrumentation devices.

Their wastes damage transmitters and actuators. two old workers should clean the wide pump house weekly. sometimes their chicks falls down on oil-export pupms and then make trouble.

what should I do for repelling them? what should I do for avoiding them to fall into the habit of an ultra sound? any idea?
thanks

Last edited:

If the pigeons have no where better to go with garbage or something to attract them, then you have a war on your hands. No deterrent will work except SS spikes on critical edges or razor wire. 100 birds will poop 2 metric tonnes per year.

IF you have a PhD and you have a scope and two sonic units, it would be trivial to verify they work, using one as the detector to measure the speaker or transducer levels with the other turned on. Do you have specs and need a test plan?

Immediate action, low costGenerally prohibited in public. Represents a harvest as opposed to a control program
PoisonKillingImmediate actionNon-target risks; socially unacceptable, short-term solution; dead and dying birds
Trap and euthanizeKillingImmediate actionOften unacceptable where people are present. Short-term effects; birds get “trap shy”
RaptorsPredator and preyPigeons are a natural prey species; environmentally sound solutionMating pairs are difficult to attract under most urban conditions. Raptors migrate and will leave the area part of the year

Last edited:

Maybe these guys can help with a solution. One of the techniques they employ is. simulated predator bird calls instead of ultrasonic.
I believe the plastic spike strips I saw were not so effective is because of the design. They were a long ribbon with a single thin spike.spaced a few inches apart. You have to realize these were placed on handrails. So it had to be something that wouldn’t interfere with hand placement.

Maybe these guys can help with a solution. One of the techniques they employ is. simulated predator bird calls instead of ultrasonic.
I believe the plastic spike strips I saw were not so effective is because of the design. They were a long ribbon with a single thin spike.spaced a few inches apart. You have to realize these were placed on handrails. So it had to be something that wouldn’t interfere with hand placement.
apparently pigeons don't like the feeling of silicone on the edge of a window ledge maybe that might work on a handrail

Kajunbee

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
you are right Tony.
If the pigeons have no where better to go with garbage or something to attract them, then you have a war on your hands. No deterrent will work except SS spikes on critical edges or razor wire. 100 birds will poop 2 metric tonnes per year.

IF you have a PhD and you have a scope and two sonic units, it would be trivial to verify they work, using one as the detector to measure the speaker or transducer levels with the other turned on. Do you have specs and need a test plan?

Immediate action, low costGenerally prohibited in public. Represents a harvest as opposed to a control program
PoisonKillingImmediate actionNon-target risks; socially unacceptable, short-term solution; dead and dying birds
Trap and euthanizeKillingImmediate actionOften unacceptable where people are present. Short-term effects; birds get “trap shy”
RaptorsPredator and preyPigeons are a natural prey species; environmentally sound solutionMating pairs are difficult to attract under most urban conditions. Raptors migrate and will leave the area part of the year

you are right Tony. thank you for your valuable answer.
some people say kill the pigeons. but in my opinion, killing the animals is not the final way. also I can not do this not at all.
I am searching to find the most effective for repelling the birds...
😵‍💫

I can't upload image. instead, below is the link of top view of the ultrasonic repeller.

but the output power was too weak. how I can increase the output power and intensity of the output wave?

https://s6.uupload.ir/files/1669654301352_6j8q.jpg
Finally I could to upload the image.

I installed the box and the detector has shown the good ultrasonic spectra. but the output wave has very low intensity.
How I can increase the output power of the repeller?

IMG_20221122_161323.jpg

Without a schematic and parts lost we do not know what is limiting the output power.
In Google the experts say that an ultrasonic pest repeller does not repel pests and many repellers purchased do not produce any ultrasonics anyway.

Try turning on the ultrasound when a cat or dog is nearby (or other animal whose ears detect ultrasounds). If they respond in any way that indicates they hear it, then it should be audible to pigeons.

A chirping cricket might pause if it hears sudden ultrasound.

Rubber snakes are often recommended in gardening articles. Move the snakes daily so the birds stay alarmed.

If you feel up to building an electronics project...
Rig a small motor to lift up the head of the snake for a short time (a foot off the ground). You might power it from a battery charged from a solar panel. It charges the battery (or super capacitor?) for 30 minutes, discharges it for a minute.

Try turning on the ultrasound when a cat or dog is nearby (or other animal whose ears detect ultrasounds). If they respond in any way that indicates they hear it, then it should be audible to pigeons.

A chirping cricket might pause if it hears sudden ultrasound.

Rubber snakes are often recommended in gardening articles. Move the snakes daily so the birds stay alarmed.

If you feel up to building an electronics project...
Rig a small motor to lift up the head of the snake for a short time (a foot off the ground). You might power it from a battery charged from a solar panel. It charges the battery (or super capacitor?) for 30 minutes, discharges it for a minute.
Thank you dear.
First I should say that the birds' nests is 10m above the surface and due to the special shape of the pump's shelter, I can't reach there to place anything such as plastic snake or spikes.

For this reason,I think the only way is the same ultrasonic repeller.

I installed the Ultrasound Detector App on my phone and the ultrasonic pest repeller already had turned on. The App showed the correct ultrasonic spectra (19<f<22kHz).

But now the problem is the weak output power that emitted from speakers.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.