Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IGBT module, with IR2110 driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricperes

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, i need help, because i don't know what i'm doing wrong. I just made this schematic, and had good results, however an overnight ceased to work and not know why. Already replaces drivers IR2110, and still have short-circuit the source.

schematic1.png

I connect de Resistence R3 and R4 to the pins mentioned in the image ..

igbt.PNG

Hi, are you sure that you do not need any R in serie with D2 and D3?
If you do not put any R, the turn off current can be very high to damage the internal driver circuit.

D2 and D3 are used to have two separated dynamics for turn-on and turn-off. However, in this case the turn-off dynamic is very very fast yielding also switch overvoltage when current flows.

Last edited:

Hi, are you sure that you do not need any R in serie with D2 and D3?
If you do not put any R, the turn off current can be very high to damage the internal driver circuit.

D2 and D3 are used to have two separated dynamics for turn-on and turn-off. However, in this case the turn-off dynamic is very very fast yielding also switch overvoltage when current flows.

I don't know, I have tested this schematic , and had good results, but i don't know why, crashed...

I'm looking at Q1. Does its source terminal have a definite path to ground? Are you certain it turns on and off fully? Are you certain that it does not turn on unintentionally caused by very low voltage at node 2?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, are your ground icons connected together?

I'm looking at Q1. Does its source terminal have a definite path to ground? Are you certain it turns on and off fully? Are you certain that it does not turn on unintentionally caused by very low voltage at node 2?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, are your ground icons connected together?

I made some changes and now the circuit is this: schematic12.png

and the result output o osciloscope is: v.png

The output should be V+ and V- alternating, but isn't....

I connect all grounds , i think that Q1 isn't working

I took a loot to the driver data-sheet. You cannot avoid to place a resistor in serie to D1 and D2. Driver can be damaged.
First of all, I would place a R, same value as the turn-on resistor.

2nd) place a load between the mid-point and DC-minus

Test the system and let me know.

Cheers

I took a loot to the driver data-sheet. You cannot avoid to place a resistor in serie to D1 and D2. Driver can be damaged.

2nd) place a load between the mid-point and DC-minus

Test the system and let me know.

Cheers

Thanks for help, can you change the schematic in Paint to I understand better please?

Best is to skip D2 and D3. Turn off produces harder peaks and I think it is better to have soft turn on:s and soft turn off:s.

place a load between the mid-point and DC-minus

I suggest a capacitive voltage divider so that Vs gets a stable voltage

I made some changes and now the circuit is this: View attachment 126417

and the result output o osciloscope is: View attachment 126418

The output should be V+ and V- alternating, but isn't....

I connect all grounds , i think that Q1 isn't working

Ground is not necessarily meant to be the same point for all sections. Your righthand ground is now the node between the positive and negative supply. However this produces a short circuit.

It is important to create compatible ground references for each section. A section needs a definite ground reference for each signal going out from it. Trace the signals from your control section (this appears to be U1), and make sure each outgoing signal has a return path back to the control section.

Trace the current through your power section, and make sure each mosfet receives bias at correct volt level, at the same time its drain and source terminals are also at correct voltage. The schematic may look correct, but the volt levels may be unpredictable as the hardware is operating in a real circuit.

Ground is not necessarily meant to be the same point for all sections. Your righthand ground is now the node between the positive and negative supply. However this produces a short circuit.

It is important to create compatible ground references for each section. A section needs a definite ground reference for each signal going out from it. Trace the signals from your control section (this appears to be U1), and make sure each outgoing signal has a return path back to the control section.

Trace the current through your power section, and make sure each mosfet receives bias at correct volt level, at the same time its drain and source terminals are also at correct voltage. The schematic may look correct, but the volt levels may be unpredictable as the hardware is operating in a real circuit.

Yes , i confirm all grounds are separated . I was thinking, that maybe is the IGBT module that are crashed, how i can confirm if this is fine or not?

Igbt module IXYS MKI 75-06A7

Hello, someone knows or some has a schematic , for how i can connect this IGBT module to a IR2110.ixys.PNG

thanks

I was thinking, that maybe is the IGBT module that are crashed, how i can confirm if this is fine or not?

The only way to be certain is by testing each component in the module by itself. Apply the normal biasing waveform. Add a resistive (pure ohmic) load. A resistor displays the simplest behavior.

Or do you mean the driver module? This is a common question with any IC that has an important function. It is not easy to test the IC away from the rest of the circuit, or to test it away from a circuit under full power. It will require ingenuity. Maybe you can mimic the feedback that ordinarily comes from key nodes? Etc.

your grounds are all wrong in your 2nd circuit...! you are shorting out the lower supply, you have to reference every thing to the V- of the lower supply...!

also it is very helpful to buffer the o/p of the 2110 when driving large devices...

also it is very helpful to buffer the o/p of the 2110 when driving large devices...

Seeing what module was connected to the original circuit I aso thought the same, but it was not informed so far the switching frequency, which would impact significantly on the accumulated heating die to the slow transition On/Off of the conduction regions of the transistor.

I think you would place a bipolar capacitor between VB and HO

Status
Not open for further replies.