Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

If the VCO frequency is increased, will it influence the phase noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chacha

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
is phase noise dependent on the output freq of the VCO??
if the VCO freq is increased, will it influence the phase noise??

Thanks....

phase noise

I do think so .
if the frequency is double, basically, the phase noise will be higher about 6dbc/hz

Re: phase noise

i think yeah
coz the Q of the resonator is changing with frequency , and also the output power of the VCO change with frequency

so the Phase noise will also change

khouly

khouly said:
i think yeah
coz the Q of the resonator is changing with frequency , and also the output power of the VCO change with frequency

so the Phase noise will also change

khouly

L{dw}=10log{2FKT/Ps*[1+(w0/2/Q/dw)^2]*(1+dw3/dw)}
w0 increase, then the L{dw} decrease.

while the LO amplitude is increasing if the oscillation frequency increase with other same condition.

yeah in equation , but as w increase the Q will decrease and also the output power

so the phase noise will increase

khouly

One way to think of it is that the resonator has a narrow bandwidth, so for a given available Q (which is a given when you select your media, such as around 30 for microstrip, etc), the bandwidth that the resonator is trying to restrict the oscillator's operation to gets bigger. Q = BW/f0 So, when f0 goes up, your bandwidth goes up, so your oscillator noise bandwidth goes up too.

You can read some of the older papers by Leeson to understand where that phasenoise equation comes from.

If you go higher in frequency, to have the same phase noise you would need a somewhat better resonator Q, or a lot bigger oscillation power.

I do think so .
if the frequency is double, basically, the phase noise will be higher about 6dbc/hz

Do you mean the phase noise of VCO or LO divided by VCO?I think if VCO frequency is double,the divider will double,so the phase noise of LO will improve 6dBc/Hz from Bessel theory.

Thank you very much!

phase noise

He may means the phase noise of VCO slopes with 20dBc/decade(6dbc/oct). But in fact, it slopes with 30dbc/decade for low frequency and 20dbc/decade for medium frequency. You can refer to Hajimiri‘s paper.

phase noise

Could you send the paper to me because I cann't find it at internet? Many thanks.

phase noise

This is the link:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back