Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IE3D radiation pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbmanick

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

how to calculate the horizontal/vertical beamwidth in ie3d?

there are some options. e total theta=0, 90 and etotal phi =0, 90.

what is this? i mean equivalent familar terms?

what is the starting angle and ending angle we should give in theta and phi in order to get the full simulation? give me the clear steps?

with thanks,

kbmani

Hi, Kbmanic:

I am not sure your question about "e,total theta = 0, 90...". Where did you see it? Normall the 0 and 90 represent some angles.

Regarding the beam width, you can check the Edit->Properties in PATTERNVIEW for it. It will tell you the 3dB beamwidth (min and max values).

You can always display the 2D pattern and use the markers to mark the 3 dB points (or other points) and measure the beamwidth using markers.

Best regards,

Respected sir,

when we are enabling the radiation pattern what angle should i give? i am giving theta 0 t0 180 and phi 0 to 360. this means that entire plane right?

i am also measuring the beamwidth using the 2d pattern and markers. but my doubt is that is for hzal beamwidth or vertical? or elevation or azimuth? how to measure cross and co polarization details? i am giving e total 0 degree and 90 degree.

with thanks,

kbmani

Hi, kbmanick:

1. Yes. Theta = 0 to 180 and Phi = 0 to 360 cover all the space.
2. You can display some 2D patterns. Please remember that you can select Elevaiton or Azimuth. Then, you define some markers on the curves and meausre the distance betwen the markers.

Respected Sir,
yes sir. but e-total 0 degree and 90 degree is equivalent to what?

0 degree is azimuth plane? or horizontal plane?what? plz give me clear details.

Hi, Kbmanick:

E-total theta = 0 is the total field at the direction of +z.
E-total theta = 90 is the total field at the horizontal plane.

best regards,

When we check “Radiation Pattern File” in the Simulation Setup dialog, MGRID will invoke IE3D
to simulate the structure and perform pattern calculation automatically. After the simulation is finished,
PATTERNVIEW is invoked with the calculated .pat file inserted into the Pattern List for visualization and comparison.
Step 1 In case you still have the automatically invoked PATTERNVIEW with the file
.\ie3d\practice\rpatch2m.pat added into the Pattern List, you can skip this step.
Please run PATTERNVIEW. PATTERNVIEW starts and show you an empty Pattern List. You
are allowed to add a number of .pat files into the Pattern List so that you can display and
compare their performances.
Click the right mouse button to bring up a pop-up menu. Select the Add Pattern item. Select the
file: .\ie3d\practice\rpatch2m.pat file to add it into the list. You can also select Edit->Add
Pattern command to do the same thing.
Step 2 Click at the only item in the Pattern List. Select Edit->Pattern Properties to bring up a modeless
dialogs to show the properties in a list box.
In case you are comparing different radiation patterns from different files, you should double
click at the item in the Pattern List and enter the ID for it so that you can distinguish it from
other files. For this example, we have one file and we do not need to do so.
You are able to show multiple Pattern Properties dialogs for different files at the same time.
You can select Save Detailed Data button to save the data into an ASCII file for postprocessing.
You can select View in Brower button to save the data into an XML file and use
Internet Explorer to view it. You can also select Print to receive a hard copy from a printer.
Some of the pattern data are listed in Table 5.2. You may have noticed we use the terminologies
of Total Field, Theta Field, Phi-Field, LH Circular Field and RH Circular Field. The definitions
are documented in Table AV.2 in Appendix AV.
You may notice we do not use the terminologies of E-plane and H-plane patterns and Linear
Gain. You may want to know how you can get those parameters. The answer is that we do not
provide those parameters. The reason is due to the fact that IE3D is a general EM simulator.
You have the complete freedom to create any antenna structure you like and simulate it. IE3D
does not know what the E-plane and H-plane of the antenna are. We cannot provide such
information. Instead, we provide the information about Total Field, Theta-Field, Phi-Field, LH
Circular Field and RH Circular Field. If your antenna is linear polarized antenna, you can
consider the Total Field or the Theta Field pattern as your primary radiation pattern while the
Phi Field pattern as the cross-polarization. When it is circular polarized antenna, you should use
either LH Circular Field or RH Circular Field as your primary polarization and the other one as
the cross-polarization. Please note the following fact: For a circular polarized antenna, the Total
Field does not represent the linear polarized field. It is assuming all the fields (both E-theta and
E-phi) are received completely.
Step 3 Select Display->3D Pattern. The 3D Pattern Selection dialog comes up. You
can choose which frequency you want to display. You can select which quantity you want to
display and what scale you want to display it. Also, you have the option of Mapped 3D and
True 3D pattern styles. The relation between Mapped 3D pattern and True 3D pattern is similar
to that between Cartesian pattern and polar pattern in the 2D case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back