Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ideas-- need to convert text to speech and transmit using Bluetooth to a receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

foggysail

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Not sure if this is the right forum or not, I deleted it once but I'll try again here

I'm stuck! What I am trying to do is read the output (I2C) from a temperature sensor (TMP175), convert that text to speech and then transmit via Bluetooth to a receiver. I already have the temperature sensor communicating via I2C to a alphanumeric display; converting that data to ASCII is no issue. I am trying to keep this as simple as possible For example, I would like to use a commercial Bluetooth cheapo ear receiver so I don't want to transmit digital data via Bluetooth where it needs to be processed to audio. This will be my first usage of BlueTooth.

It matters not which serial data type is needed to transmit to the Bluetooth receiver although I think a BTM-222 class 2 module would/could work out fine. The controller I am using is a PIC18F4550 with C18.

Thanks--

Foggy

You can use this text to speech synthesizer IC,
https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/General/TTS256_Datasheet_prelim.pdf

which accepts ASCII data at 9600bps. Next you can use a modulation system for transmitting that data via Bluetooth and connect a speaker at receiver end for audio output.

Thank you for your ideas and response. It seems text to voice conversion is not a big deal around here.

Anyway, I have my problem solved. I resorted to using a V-Stamp text to voice module. I really wanted to use I2C for communications but was stuck with V-Stamp's uart requirements.

String data is a big PITA with C18 which of course uses C. The strings have to be put into rom or ram before they can get transmitted. All this is no issue until you have variables and now you're into arrays. Microchip's new XC compiler accommodates C++ which might make strings easier to process. I have no C++ background but that is going to change. C is too limited in my opinionated opinion. And horrors of horrors, assembly is out of the question : )

Foggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back