Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD2 USB clone - how to get it to work with 3.3V PIC24s ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
clone icd2 with usb

funnynypd said:
Gobol said:
Hi,
I've got simple question - how to programm 3.3V PIC24/dsPIC33F with "our" ICD2 USB clone ?
I'd add that when I downloaded PIC24 firmware into ICD2 it didn't pass the self test. I t seems that there is a possibility of getting it work with new chips.
Maybe simple header with some kind of voltage-level-changer would do the trick?
too many Downloadings of OS for different chips is a weak point of ICD2. Can you reverse it back for any other chip?
Just to verify if the chip is still function right first.

It would take over 100,000 downloads to wear out the 16F877A in the ICD2. Very Unlikely that's the problem.
And yes you need some form of level translator.

will a pic work at 3 v

Hi!
I donot know wheather it is ok to use the clone ICD2 with the PIC24F/DSPIC 33F without any 3.3/5V converter circuitry.
In fact i have been using it with dsPIC33F for about a month without any problem. Currently i am using it with PIC24F.
The only thing that i ensure in my design is that i donot power the target board from ICD2. As far as the data and clock pins are concerned they are 5V tolerant on dsPIC33F/PIC24F.
Regards.

sergey kushnir

Hi!
I have already told that currently i am using ICD2 with PIC24FJ32GA002 without any problem. Before that i was using it with dsPIC33FJ12MC202. Both programming and debugging are working perfectly. Keep in mind that the I/O pins of these controllers are 5V tolerant. But becarefull not to power the board from ICD2.
Regards.

icd2 3,3v icsp

waseem said:
Hi!
But becarefull not to power the board from ICD2.
Regards.
how exactly you need to be care full if MPLAB just doesn't allow to power the board via ICD2 when you select any PIC24 or dsPIC33? it just switches the power of by default.

0x41 0x56 0x45!!

3.3v+icd 2

Hi!
I simply connect the target board to the ICD using only CLK,DATA,MCLR and GND connections.
In addition to that if you see the POWER tab in the MPLAB ICD2 settings you will be surprised to know that the option to power target from ICD2 is shadowed which means that it is no longer available to be used.

Regards.

icd2 supported pic24fj

Hi!
ICD2 works with PIC from 1,8V to 5,5V.
I repair very many ICD2 and know about ICD2 all.
I saw scheme and can to say that it must to work.
If ICD2 clone do not work than is one of two problems:
1. Damage ICD2 and it must repaired
2. Software.
I don't know any other problems.
For note: I repaired about 80 ICD2 Microchip and clone.

icd-2 poland

Sorry, I can't to see this ICD2 from Minsk and to say what to do precisely...

Added after 15 minutes:

I look up Slovak's posts and see that problem is damaged switch or switches in MCLR scheme.
If MPLAB ICD2 Vpp 12..13V and Target Vpp 5v or lower then switch Vcc_GT to MCLR_TGT is broken.
Please, check it!

usb icd2 poland

Hi everybody!
I have read all topic with great pleasure.
Is one question about circuit which was asked by togarha. Why the 74HC4066 is powered from ICSP VPP? This chips can't work with this voltages! What is the purpose of this switch?
I found one little (maby big) problem. After program 8-bit chip (18F4550) and switch to 16-bit low voltage chip (24HJ12GP202) the transistor Q5 (potyo2) didn't block the Vdd voltage and was still 5V (measured and in MPLAB) and in Settings window checkbox was checked, but without posibility to change it... sic!
Which firmware do you use for both chips in Clone?
Regards

how to use icd 2 with 80 pin pics

krzykoz said:
Hi everybody!
I found one little (maby big) problem. After program 8-bit chip (18F4550) and switch to 16-bit low voltage chip (24HJ12GP202) the transistor Q5 (potyo2) didn't block the Vdd voltage and was still 5V (measured and in MPLAB) and in Settings window checkbox was checked, but without posibility to change it... sic!
Which firmware do you use for both chips in Clone?
Regards
this bug is fixed in the latest potyo edition. it just requires one pullup resistor. see this sch: **broken link removed**

you can also find something about this bug in this post:

however - you just need to power the icd2 down and than - after power up - there will be no VDD on the pins.

anyway - the potyo2 with added pullup still works just fine with pic24hj256gp210.

0x41 0x56 0x45!!

usb clone

see this sch: **broken link removed**

Ok thx, problem fixed, but I see another one. I don't know how is in practice, but look on the 74HC4066. In datasheet, this chip can be powered with max 10V, in this case (I gues) is powered with 5V. Ok but, the max switch voltage is Vcc (so 5V), in this case is (13V - 5.1V)*(4.7k/(4.7k+1k) = 6,6V! Am I wrong?
Another question. If this chip (HC series) is powered with 5V the min input HI voltage is more than 3.15V! How can it work with 3V levels? It is the same situation like with 74HCT125.
My solution is use 74HCT4066 and power it from ISP-VDD, but the switch voltage must be always 3.3V (Zener diode 3.3V should be connected to GND with anode, to R = 2k2 with cathode and this R to CMOS-EN). You can see this solution on picture (of course instead of HC must be HCT)... Corect me if I'm wrong please...
Regards,
Krzykoz

Btw, did you try to build Explorer 16 board? I would like to start... Invite to topic:

icd2 to 24f

to be honest, I haven't thought about that switch very much - it just works pretty fine with lower voltages. why don't you drop by and see for yourself [; w koncu politechnika zbliza ludzi, isn't it [;

the switch i have is MC74HC4066N.

0x41 0x56 0x45!!

icd2 for pic24fj

I had a problems with this switch, I think its depend on the manufacturer. The solution is: use the powering from ISP-VDD and switch voltage 3.3V (with zener like I show on picture) but using the HCT series is not nessesary, because if the power voltage will be 3V (from tgt board) the min HI voltage is less then 2V!, (and switch voltage is still 3.3V).

A propos, what is the goal of use this switch, could you explain me, because I didn't find any purpose except for put the PGC and PGD line in high impedance. Is it nessesary? The first potyo's ICD2 was without it and worked...

Ps. Jaki masz temat pracy dyplomowej? :)

Regards!
krzykoz

icd 2 with picf24

it is possible - as you said - to turn those lines to HI-Z with that switch. with the jumper near it, you can change potyo's behaviour to act as a 100% normal debugger, which has those lines connected to the circuit, or - in the other position - to be only a programmer, in which those lines get connected to the target only when VPP is applied, which means only when program operation is in progress. this way - on the target, you can use those lines to whatever you like, and you don't need to disconnect the ICD2 after programming for the device to work - anything can drive the lines, because they are electrically separated from the potyo...

hope you understood my point [;

this feature seems pretty usefull when you don't need debugging, but you need to program target chip which has low pin-count or is highly packed with other stuff on pcb, and those two lines has to be used to do something else. apart from pure comfort, this switch has no other functions [;

P.S. moj temat: miernik charakterystyk czestotliwosciowych urzadzen audio oparty o procesor dsp. a twoj? <:

0x41 0x56 0x45!!

3.3v 5v translator 2 transistor npn

Ok, now I understand the purpose, thx Freddie Chopin!

Ps. What about Explorer 16?

Ps. Obronilem sie w zeszlym roku... "Generator przebiegow sinusoidalnych na pasmo akustyczne" Przetaktowany PIC18F4431@48MHz robil jako generator DDS (bez zewnetrznego AD985x)... Za nim tylko przetwornik, filtr i wzmacniacz :)

Regards, pozdro!

24hj12gp202

Here is the schematic of my version ICD2, using the Zener diode and powering 74HC4066 from target. I add also DB9 and MAX202 to serial communication... Check it please...
Regards, krzykoz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back