Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD2 Parallel Slave Port com / USB/ new design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alu-Spray

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
usb to parallel slave port

Hello

I plan to redesign the ICD2 and to replace the cypress chip. Actually I do not know exactly how the communication works.

I hope I can find some people who like to work together, finding a better solution.

My somple thought is, that the serial communication must be similar to the parralel one.

Maybe there is another suitable USB Device Chip e.g. FTDI245(I know it is a passive one, uC has to be active, doesnt work here), the Printer Port with a special driver,...

Well, I woult like to collect some Information about it here.

Sebastian

P.S. Especially the function of RB0, how does it work?

Must be a Parallel slave port communication with Handschake, or something like that.

why do you want to change the cypress part?

I believe that the MPLAB IDE have the driver specifically for the cypress, chnging to a new design might result to complcation in usb interface of the ICD.

why chnge?

abb

Hello

I think all it needs a Com Driver. If it works via RS 232, it should also work with a virtual com Port via USB or Prallel communication.

The version with a FTDI Chip (to Rs232) works, but the problem is the low RS232 Bitrate. So it needs a Chip that can handle the parallel communication of the ICD2.

First I try to collect some Information about that communication, and people helping to solve that Problem. Then, I'm sure, the solution is not that compicated it may seems.

A FTDI245 with a small device(PIC,..) working to gether to get an active Bus communication, could be a solution.

Sebastian

Added after 17 minutes:

P.S.

The problem with the cypress device is the availability.

you cab look at patrick touzet icd2 implementation
at :

**broken link removed**

it uses a cypress chip , but with parallel usb design and is really fast enought compared to the rs232/usb converters.
the cypress chip he uses is available at radiospares for some 20 euros.

Status
Not open for further replies.