Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD-S40 vs ICD-U40 vs IDC2. Comments ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigi_102

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mplab idc2 wont work with usb

Hi all,
reading trough the CCS website I have seen the comparison between the three products in subject.
What I can't understand is the fact that the fastest seems to be the ICD S40 ( the serial one )

MPLAB USB ICD-2 1.36 seconds
PCW serial ICD-S40 (40Mhz) 0.16 seconds
PCW USB ICD-U40 0.24 seconds

I have two questions on this:
1) Did someone have tested the ICD2 USB to check for the speed ?
2) Has someone use the ICD-[S/U] and can confirm the speed ?

More over, for those who have use all the three, wich do you think is the fastest ?

I have already built the PiCS clone, and it works well, but I use the ccs and his integration is not very good under MPLAB, so I would give one of this a try ( and obvioulsy the S40 seems to be the easiest to build due to the MAX232 instead of the FT232 )

Thanks in advance

Pigi

acheter idc2 clone

CCS website:
MPLAB USB ICD-2 1.36 seconds
PCW serial ICD-S40 (40Mhz) 0.16 seconds
PCW USB ICD-U40 0.24 seconds

MPLAB® IDE 6.10 was used to test MPLAB® ICD-2, the serial baud rate was set to 57,600 (the max setting in MPLAB 6).
PCW 3.132 was used to test ICD-S, ICD-S20 and ICD-U. The baud rate for both ICD-S and ICD-S20 was set to 115,200 (the max setting in PCW).
Your comparing is humour. ICD2 with USB has baud rate about 12Mb/s.

icd-s40 icd-u40

Hi,

CCS comparaison is very funny !!!
I've an ICD2 and it works larger than one step per second. I don't know exactly the time between two steps, but it looks like 0,2 second.

I'm sure ICD2 on USB is the fastest way to debug without ICE.

Probably CCS use the serial communication of the microchip ICD2 to compare with our product.

CD:D

I've take a look to CCS website, the comparaison is for serial communication only !!!!
If you want an USB ICD2 search on edaboard, you will find anything to make it easily.

icd-s40

crazyduck said:
If you want an USB ICD2 search on edaboard, you will find anything to make it easily.

I already did the one from edaboard ( THANKS TO ALL ), and is fantastic, but I have seen that working with mplab and C code ( from ccs ) is somehow slow on some cycle.
Thus I tought it could have been a good idea to use thier icd for their C compilers.

Obviously I was wrong.

Now back to MPLAB manual heheh.

Pigi

Status
Not open for further replies.