Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8Bit controllers vs DSP controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

sir i want to design a sine wave inverter.
does using DSP controllers have advantage over simple 8/16 bit controllers in designing sine wave inverter??

also help me to understand DSP, as i dont have any idea over it (examples of dsp projects).

The web is full of DSP text books and application notes and videos to learn
from.

What signals are you trying to filter/convolve/FFT, their bandwidth, type of processing you want
to do ?

Regards, Dana.

Both of them can use for designing inverter.
I tested with PIC16F716 and DSPIC33F, STM32f030.
MCU 8bit 16F716 has complementry PWM output with deadtime, it is used to drive H-bridge. But, resolution is low <8bit for PWM. So need bigger LC filter. And hard to change wide range of output frequency. This is basic to push out a sine wave with low power range & low cost.
Dspic33 or STM32 have stronger PWM timer support > 10 bit resolution, faster ADC can trigger conversion for each switching cycle and protection better. Can synchronize output current to feed in AC Grid, or change wider range of frequency. And many control method as VFD, FOC,..
PIC16F or DSPIC33 has ability to immune to noise better than Stm32.
I would like to share my old project as below. This is not include Pushpull stage to pump up 400Vdc.
I test this design with 700W 8yr ago :rolleyes: , the mosfet was used is IRFP460 instead of 3N60. C20 is not implement.
1647877669461.png

Attachments

• inverter pic16f716.pdf
    44 KB · Views: 152

Status
Not open for further replies.