Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to make a speed limiter or rev limiter for my motorcycle

Monster110

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need help to make a speed limiter.i searched a bit and found i need to play with the cdi wires (2 of them are from the pulser and ignition coil the others are for battery and ground ) i have a arduino uno. Can you guys please help me write a program that delays or limits the engines rev's at certain rpm ?

Hi,

I guess a fuel engine. 2 stroke? 4 stroke? Carburetor or injection? Mechanic or electronic accelerator?
Why you want to limit the RPM? To avoid self destruction? As soft speed limiter? To avoid spinning wheels?
Fixed RPM? Adjustable? Controlled or regulated max RPM ... depending on what?
How you want to limit the RPM? Simply by shut off ignition -> still using fuel, that maybe explodes within the hot exhaust?
(Maybe destroying the catalyst?.)
By regulating down the fuel injection?

Klaus

You can control RPM by spark cut or fuel cut. Spark cut makes it likely
that you will have a bonus flamethrower exhaust as you'll be pushing
out prime fuel-air mix into hot pipe. Fuel cut works for EFI, just logic
a couple of steps back up the injector driver chain. Of course this is
probably potted inside the control module, but you could play with
the (normally IGN) high side injector supply with a RPM-detect
switch and cut the rail out.

But your viable options really depend on the platform hardware
and access to it.

I guess the real point here is what actually controls the engine speed and how does it operate. All motorcycles I've ever owned or worked on use a mechanical carburetor and the throttle control decides how much air can be drawn in to the venturi. If you can't electrically operate the mechanism I would give up now.

Restricting the CDI firing rate isn't complicated and can certainly be done with an Arduino device but controlling revs by deliberately misfiring the igntion will almost certainly lead to a very bumpy ride and as previously explained, the risk of fuel mixture igniting in the exhaust pipe.

Brian.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: