Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

i want to buy new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

akhilpaulv

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am a final year student in electronics and communication. i would like to buy a new lap top for my future study purpose. anyone kindly suggest a laptop or the configuration of it? if you can tell me why you chose that?

If you aim to do CAD work, perhaps branching out into 3D mechanical, go for a good graphics chip option.
Electronic CAD itself is not that graphic intensive.

Go for a 4 core Intel processor any more than this doesn't improve performance very much.

Go for a big single module memory so you can keep the (normally provided) second slot free for future expansion.

My experience is the HD is the slowest point on all my laptops, so consider the SSD combo options.

A big screen helps with CAD work, but this can be a plugged in external LCD if you want to keep the laptop size down.

I go for Windows, but Win8 at the moment seems to have some issues as programs migrate to this new version. Win8 with a touch screen LCD and a modern CAD package will be a great user experience, particularly for panning and selection by pointing.

Every laptop should be perfect for emails, browsing, documents, spreadsheets etc., it what you might want to expand into later that needs consideration.
I also steer clear of the latest top of the range models as their performance advantage is often not that noticeable but the impact on your pockets can be high!

Now to go back over this "as a student" you probably don't have huge funds, so I assuming no 3D intensive CAD, a high end Intel processor with inbuilt graphics will be good, they are much faster graphics wise now than a few years back.
A standard 5400 rpm HD will be fine and batteries will last longer than with the faster drives. Don't go too high in size, buy a backup device instead.
Memory is as said and get what you can afford 6GB min, as Windows will soon take up 2GB!
Balance this against the LCD size that you would like.

Hope this helps a little....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back