Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need your help 'Cuk is not a kind of locomotive.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldsunn

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need your help

I come from China. I read a sentance: 'Cuk is not a kind of locomotive.' Can some of you explain it for me? Thanks .

Re: I need your help

keith1200rs said:
Have you a little more information? It could be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ćuk_converter but I am not sure. If so, it is just someone's attempt at humour (although it is lost on me - presumably something to do with the way Cuk is supposed to be pronounced).

Keith.
I recently read an post about the anolog circuit design tips in a chinese circuit design forum. The following are a few tips from that post:

78/ High-Q tuned LC filters will have more insertion loss.

79/ Williams’s Rule (Guru at Linear Tech) for precision op amp circuits: ‘Always invert (except when you can’t)’

80/ Cuk is not a kind of locomotive.

81/ If you don’t know how to make a design better, find out what makes it worse.

82/ Sometimes you know just enough to be dangerous.

I can understand the most tips, but the number 80 puzzled me.

I am fairly sure it is referring to a Cuk converter - see the link I posted earlier. I think it must be a play on the way Cuk is pronounced 'Chook'.

Keith

keith1200rs said:
I am fairly sure it is referring to a Cuk converter - see the link I posted earlier. I think it must be a play on the way Cuk is pronounced 'Chook'.

Keith, I agree with you that Cuk refers to a converter. We know that Locomotive is a special vehicle which generates the power for the train while a power converter itself does not produce the power for the load. The converter's function is to provide a output voltage at a different level than the input voltage. In this sense, Cuk is not a kind of locomotive. This is what I guess the meaning of that sentance. Am I wrong?

Cuk is a family name and one member of that family may have done some invention work in the railroad area.

Status
Not open for further replies.