Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need to learn verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

brafi

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
learn verilog by example

where can i find stuf on verilog (in the net)?

advice for beginner ,verilog

there is avery good book on verilog whose author
is "palnitkar".

why we have to learn verilog

well that particular book is Verilog Hdl by Samir Palnitkar,
there are many errors in that book, so one should also refer to the errata of that book,

Added after 15 minutes:

actually it was our instructor who initially told us that palnitkar's book is full of errors, so he prescribed us a tutorial which i have uploaded for u

a verilog hdl primer+j.bhasker+ebook

Advanced Digital Design with the Verilog HDL.. .little advance level
by Michael D. Ciletti

The Complete Verilog Book
by Vivek Sagdeo

The Verilog Hardware Description Language, 5th edition
by Donald E. Thomas and Philip R. Moorby ...Really good one

a very basic book

A Verilog HDL Primer, Second Edition
by J. Bhasker

famous books on verilog

You can find a lot of book on verilog in the books upload/download section of the forum. The serach would definitely be of very much help.

verilog learn by example

but its sad that we do not have th book, a verilog primer by bhasker in the ebook section cuz i find that really good !

verilog famous author

i think you must start with the book "digital design "by Morris Mano.
because it contain all the information at a very basic level .
it will be more easier for you to first understand the digital logic and than convert it into VERILOG..

need to learn verilog

suvendu said:
there is avery good book on verilog whose author
is "palnitkar".

yes i agree.

verilog HDL second edition prentice hall by salmir palnitkar

what is the best verilog book to start with

A couple years ago I read Palnitkar's book to learn Verilog. I don't think it's so great. At the time, I had never seen HDL before, but even while reading the book I sensed that about 90% of it would be utterly useless for my needs. I do communication and signal processing in FPGA using RTL. I could have reduced my learning time from a couple of weeks to a couple of days by concentrating on the essentials: module declaration, wire/reg/input/output/parameter declarations, expression syntax, combinatorial assign statements, always @ (clock) blocks with register assignments, if/case/for blocks, and then fork/join/$display/#time things for test benches. Those are all simple things, if you already know digital design and C expression syntax.

I believe a better way to learn Verilog is to have these three things:
1. One clear complete example that demonstrates all the language's essential features, not scattered over fifteen chapters of a book.
2. A well-indexed detailed language reference guide. The IEEE standard will suffice but needs improvement.
3. A simulator to run experiments.

Just my two cents.

best book learn verilog

mr. echo47 has criticized palnitkar so much,, but i don't agree with him...........thousands of people are getting help from this great book

best book to learn verilog

I do agree with echo47. Let's say that I'm a beginner in the FPGA world and the first advice that I got was to read the famous "Verilog HDL" by Samir Palnitkar. So I did go through it. After I was done with it I realised that it did not get me very far in the process of FPGA design. Verilog is only a syntax and when you are designing an FPGA it is not with Verilog that you are desining it. I agree that you need to know Verilog sytax and Methodologies but it's only 5% of the work for FPGA desing. Mr. Palnitkar's book content can be reduced by more than half and be used as a Verilog syntax reference book, but not as a "Guide to digital design and synthesis" like it says on the cover.

From my experience in FPGA (so far), when somebody says I need to learn Verilog and asks where should I start? My answer would be by a question to him "What is your knowledge in Digital Design?". That's where you need to start.

I know that this debate could go on for ever but Mr. Brafi if you only need some syntax guidance for Verilog go with a good reference Verilog book. But if you are new to the FPGA world start with digital design.

how to learn verilog language

One bad thing I found in Samir palnitkar's book was everytime he explains a concept and some new concept comes in there, he mentions that it will be covered later on and it is there throughout the book. I feel this is not the way to go...

learn verilog beginners

brafi said:
where can i find stuf on verilog (in the net)?

the book "primary verilog" is good for beginner

ebook learn verilog

I completely agree with echo47. To learn a language, we don't need learn all aspects of it, we just only need concentrate our energe on some important issues of the language. I think echo47 has mentioned the elite of the verilog language for the ASIC/FPGA engineer. Moreover, I think the best way for a beginner to start maybe be to study the relatively simple IP cores.

Re: a verilog hdl primer+j.bhasker+ebook

Advanced Digital Design with the Verilog HDL.. .little advance level
by Michael D. Ciletti

The Complete Verilog Book
by Vivek Sagdeo

The Verilog Hardware Description Language, 5th edition
by Donald E. Thomas and Philip R. Moorby ...Really good one

a very basic book

by J. Bhasker

by J. Bhasker
An excellent Book

Re: learn verilog by example

i used the book "HDL chip design" by Douglas J smith....... Contains design from approach for FPGA and also cover both VHDL and verilog, since i have to do both, i prefer, bt i suggest it is good if u r going for verilog only aswell.

After all 1 year of teaching from Samir's book, i got addicted! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back