Status
Not open for further replies.

Yihan

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can somebody post a complete Table lookup CRC algorithm VHDL code? I can't find any.

CRC is just shift registers and a few XORs. Easier to make it with logic than having a table.

Reactions: Yihan

Yihan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Tables are only good for software CRC implementations.

Look at this tool:

Easics

Yihan

Between the Table lookup method and using logics, which one is more efficient for FPGA (area-wise)??

The LSFR is going to be more efficient in an FPGA.

Yihan

Hi RBB, Can you tell me why the LSFR is more efficient in FPGA? Are there any links that I can get those detailed information from? Thanks.

Because an LSFR is just a shift register & a handful of xor gates. The shift register is the same length as your CRC polynomial.
Google CRC + LSFR and there is a great deal of information available.

Yihan

Hi RBB, I got another question: what is the most efficient algorithm (area-wise) for doing a 16 bit/16 bit signed division in FPGA?? Thanks for the help!

I don't know. I'm an ASIC guy. I just let me synthesis tools pick the optimal solution.

V

Any idea if the LFSR method would still take less area than the LUT methold if I have a lots EEPROM for the table ??

Depends on your CRC size & your data size. If your CRC size is 8 bits and data size is 8 bits then you need an 256x8 LUT. If you used the LSFR approach it would take 8 flops & a couple of xor gates.

Yihan

Why do you want a table? The "normal" hardware implementation (shift register + xor's) is very small and does one iteration every clock cycle. Even if you get the table memory for free, I think it is a very bad idea.

A table can speed up a software implementation, but a hardware implementation will be smaller and faster without a table.

Yihan

A table in indeed a software approach - try to avoid this when targetting hardware (CPLD, FPGA, ASIC, Struct ASIC...).

The algorithm will indeed take only a couple of cells from you logic.

If you aren't sure about it. Make a test case and implement both, synthesize, and see what the outcome is.
This is true for your other question as well (16 bit division).

Yihan

Status
Not open for further replies.