Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need help in designing a battery charger (SMPS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahmid

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Rapid Battery Charging

Hi all,

I need help in designing a battery charger (SMPS) which will charge a 100Ah 12V battery in about 3 to 4 hrs.

Input: 160VAC - 240VAC
Frequency: 50Hz
Battery: Lead Acid 12V, 100Ah
Charge Time: 3 to 4 hrs

I was thinking of using pulse charging method. But I need help in designing this.

Thanks.

Rapid Battery Charging

pulse charging?

i have heard of pulsing a sulfated pb acid battery to try and bring it back to life. -not otherwise.

sorry but the faster you re-charge, the more efficient.

fastest i believe you should go is quarter of C or 25 Amps in your case.........so that would take about 4 hours.

tenth of C is nice for efficiency.

if you charge too quickly you will blow it up.

i think UC3909 is good for you ... ti.com

4 stage charger.

but you will have to add intelligence (uC) if you want detect sulfated (damaged or old) battery

Re: Rapid Battery Charging

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion. I require the Idea/suggestion regarding quick pulse charging with Pic Microcontroller. Any help in this regard will be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Rapid Battery Charging

the best pulse charger on the market is here: www.r-charge.com

Mr.Cool

Rapid Battery Charging

seriously, there is no such thing as pulse charging for a nornmal battery...it is only for when battery is sulfated

Rapid Battery Charging

If you omit the term pulse chariging, your asking for a simple constant current/constant voltage charging, as it is achieved in normal operation in a car. You possibly won't charge the final 5 or 10 % of capacity, but otherwise it can work pretty good. Just need a 30 or 40 A current and voltage controlled SMPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.