Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need explanation of devices packages (SM, SOT, TO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Anand Srinivasan

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
packages

The packages of the devices like SM, SOT,TO are getting me confused can someone help me with some details and pictures would be of great help...

Re: packages

TO package Cylindrical, metal can type of package of some semiconductor components.

the SM or SMD are the surface mounted types, aka flat package, can be mounted on PCBs without drillin for the pins.

SOT means Small Outline Transistor package, a rectangular surface mount transistor or diode with three or more gull wings leads. The leads are on two length sides of the package. SOT package are JEDEC compliant. Popular sizes are the SOT23, SOT143, SOT223 and SOT89. SOT components are available on plastic tape and reel.

Re: packages

TO (transistor outline) packages are extremely varied.

They range from the large, metal, flanged, round TO-3 packages for power transistors to the small, plastic, half-round TO-92 packages for small signal transistors. They can be rectangular like the TO-220 packages, and they can be surface mounted like the TO-263 and TO-268 packages.

There are far too many package types!

A few of the packages are popular enough to be instantly recognizable. For others, it's easier to use the manufacturer's data sheets or a distributor's catalog pages to see what the device shapes are. Each manufacturer will use, for each device, only a few of the package types. So generally it's better to look at the data sheets for this information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back