Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I feel like switching to embedded systems. Need open suggestions. Please help guys..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaishankar

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am a Masters student. currently doing VLSI. I have taken courses like Analog circuits, Analog integrated circuit layout, Advanced VLSI design, Computer Architecture, RF/Microwave Circuits.
I have worked on FPGA programming, Know C, C++, Verilog well, I recently enjoyed doing the microprocessor design in verilog.

Now,
I feel Embedded systems more fasinating than the IC/Chip design, that I am working on. This is because, I like programming so much!! I feel I would do better in embedded systems than on chip design.
I am in the penultimate semester, and don't have an opportunity to take a embedded system course(my univ dont offer it.), But I feel I can read books on embedded system, do good projects and keep myself adept by the time I graduate at the end of this year.

Can you guys tell me if switching the field is a good option for me now? Can you also tell me how difficult/easy the situation looks for me on this regard? Does my background help if I switch to embedded systems(in any way??) I accept open suggestions. Need your suggestion. Please help !!! I want to take a good decision now. Better late than never :) Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there.
I have recently got involved in the embedded field and am now an "Embedded Software Engineer", although my degree is in "Digital Electronics, Computing and Communications". I would say that the most important things in me getting my current job were a very good knowledge of C and a willingness to learn.

What did you study at undergraduate level?

Having a knowledge of hardware is the single most important thing that sets a normal software engineer and an embedded software engineer apart, which you obviously posses! So I think that you are in a very good position to move into the embedded field, you just need to get as good at C as you possibly can (C++ will be an advantage but isn't as essential) and do projects in your own time, an example of a project that I worked on in my own time that made a very good talking point at my interview was an operating system for the PIC18 range that I wrote over last summer.
What kind of embedded software projects have you worked on in C?

/Pheetuz

Hi there.
I have recently got involved in the embedded field and am now an "Embedded Software Engineer", although my degree is in "Digital Electronics, Computing and Communications". I would say that the most important things in me getting my current job were a very good knowledge of C and a willingness to learn.

What did you study at undergraduate level?

Having a knowledge of hardware is the single most important thing that sets a normal software engineer and an embedded software engineer apart, which you obviously posses! So I think that you are in a very good position to move into the embedded field, you just need to get as good at C as you possibly can (C++ will be an advantage but isn't as essential) and do projects in your own time, an example of a project that I worked on in my own time that made a very good talking point at my interview was an operating system for the PIC18 range that I wrote over last summer.
What kind of embedded software projects have you worked on in C?

/Pheetuz

I did Electronics and Communication engineering in my undergrad. I also did work with Microcontrollers and ZigBee radios in the final project in undergrad. It was an amazing experience. I programmed the microcontroller to send the amount of "pressure" maintained in an air compressor via ZigBee radios ... to a receiving computer which analyzes and plots the data into a graph - real time!!.
I know that this seems a small project.. but for me, its the first experience .. it was nice. My knowledge in embedded systems in limited to that, I don't know much about x86 rtos, or kernals or stuff like that. but i do want to learn it.
My knowleldge in programming: I have done some good console applications on C and C++. I like coding very much.

Tell me if its good for me to switch to embedded now.. :)

You sound like you have all the necessary skills to get involved in the embedded field, whether or not someone will hire you on what you have said is a different matter though, but if its really what you want to do then I am sure you will be able to find a company that will take you on as a graduate, just really get good at C and programming in general, stuff like, function pointers, linked lists, binary trees, search algorithms, sorting algorithms, memory allocation techniques, hash tables, buffers, communications protocols, optimization for speed and memory. These are all tools that embedded programmers use everyday.
Also, it might help if you could learn some assembly language as well! Maybe ARM assembly?
Basically what I am saying is that there is a lot to learn to be able to design good firmware but you definitely sound like you have a decent grounding in the necessary skills, just get cracking on some of the list above!

Your project sounds really good for an undergrad project! Bet you scored well for it :)

You sound like you have all the necessary skills to get involved in the embedded field, whether or not someone will hire you on what you have said is a different matter though, but if its really what you want to do then I am sure you will be able to find a company that will take you on as a graduate, just really get good at C and programming in general, stuff like, function pointers, linked lists, binary trees, search algorithms, sorting algorithms, memory allocation techniques, hash tables, buffers, communications protocols, optimization for speed and memory. These are all tools that embedded programmers use everyday.
Also, it might help if you could learn some assembly language as well! Maybe ARM assembly?
Basically what I am saying is that there is a lot to learn to be able to design good firmware but you definitely sound like you have a decent grounding in the necessary skills, just get cracking on some of the list above!

Your project sounds really good for an undergrad project! Bet you scored well for it :)

Thanks for your reply. I think these are great inputs anyone can get and this stuff is exactly what we look for in the forums!! I will learn all those things that you said and look for a good project to do! I plan to do it this summer. thanks man for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back