Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hydrophone help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

kulachi

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,

i am making a hydrophone for research purpose. I have found a very good and low cost method to make it.

**broken link removed**

but still few things arent clear to me . I am using condenser mic or a piezo element from a piezo buzzer. how can i check the frequency response of the piezo buzzer or a tweeter from which piezo element will be taken ????
Also the housing in this example is a plastic film cannister filled with vegetable oil. does the plastic interface to water decrease the data rate of the sound signal received and how can i increase the data rate ???????

Any help would be highly appreciated

Thanx in advance
Regards
Ali Abdur Rehman

The transmitter frequency response is a function of the transducer resonance. (The receiver bandwith will be wider)
An impulse response is a good method to measure the frequency reponse.
You can make an impulse with a piston and cylinder. Hit the piston with a hammer.

The speed of sound in the air is around 300 m/s . The speed of sound in water(shallow) is 1200 m/s.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thats the way if i make that hydrophone fist ....
but i want to check the frequency response of the piezo element like this

37_1299529334.jpg

i have a spectrum analyser and a frequency generator in the lab
can i check the frequency response with these two lab equipment ???
if yess i donnt know the connections of both with piezo element

To measure the frequency response of a microphone, you need a speaker and a reference microphone of good quality.

The shown piezo beeper disc is a small band transducer with a strong resonance in the kHz range. I can't imagine that it will be a good microphone, even if immersed in a liquid.

unfortunately i dont have any reference mic :sad:
can i use normal headphone mic ????
also i mentioned about singal generator and osciloscope can i use them to find the frequency response??

To determine the frequency response of the PZT sensor you can connect a digital oscilloscope to the terminal of the sensor. Capture the waveform generated by breaking a pencil lead on the sensor. The pencil break is close to a dirac function. The FFT of the measured signal will be the frequency response of the sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back