Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HP8565A spectrum analyzer and negative frequency on the front panel readout - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

auato

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi mates,
I bought an HP8565A spectrum analyzer which is not in a great conditions so I have to verify some issues and attempt some fixing. If you know that instrument, please can you help me?
First strange thing is the frequency band range in the first band: when the button of the first band is engaged (0.01-1.8GHz) and the frequency tuning knob is completely counterclockwise I read -0.29 on the display (what does it mean? the frequency should be -29MHz:-?).
Looking at the service manual, the frequency readout is just a simple reading of voltage by a simple DVM.
Maybe there is a fault somewhere. How is it possible? The band B1 is labeled 0.01GHz to 1.8GHz I guess the reading should start from 10MHz (no -0.26 :-?:-?)

Please, look at this video:

As you can see in the video above I try to check the internal 100MHz cal signal (that I already checked by another S.A. and I am sure to be precise and stable in freq. and amplitude) and I find it shifted about 7/8Mhz below... moreover nearly the frequency 0 there is another signal (probably the LO).
Please, anyone who knows this instrument, should kindly verify if the frequency readout starts from -0.026 or a negative frequency in Band B1?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Ciro

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back