Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How trigonometric ratios fit into equations when dealing with sinusoidal waves

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisHansen2Legit2Quit

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone know any sources that can explain how sin fits into a function?

I keep seeing f(x)=sin ...w(t) or something.

I understand oscillations, freq, amplitude, etc... but Im not sure how ratios of angles to lengths in triangles have found their way into the equations that I see pop up time to time.

I am not sure if this answers your question:
Sinusoidal signals can be expressed by exponenetial functions like Vin=Vo*exp[j(wt+phi,1)].
If such a signal is applied to a frequency-dependent network (filter, amplifier) the output will change in magnitude and phase like Vout=A*Vo*exp[j(wt+phi,2)].
Thus, the gain is Vout/Vin=A*exp[j(phi,1-phi,2)].
Thus, you have the DIFFERENCE of two angles (but not a ratio).

Last edited:

Does anyone know any sources that can explain how sin fits into a function?

I keep seeing f(x)=sin ...w(t) or something.

I understand oscillations, freq, amplitude, etc... but Im not sure how ratios of angles to lengths in triangles have found their way into the equations that I see pop up time to time.
Could you elaborate a litte bit more your question ?

The sine and cosine are the protections of a line of length equal to 1 onto either the Y axis or X axis. So if the line is on the X axis it has an angle of zero it measures 1 along the X, the cosine tells you how long the line and so cos(0) = 1. If the line is moved 15 degrees then cos(15) = .97 meaning if you drew a straight line to the x-axis the length on the x-axis would be .97 long. The sine is just 1-cos() so it is what the line measures on the Y-axis. This is why sin(45) = cos(45) because the line at 45 degrees projects an equal amont on both the X and Y axis.

This was taken from another forum, and it's the best explanation I have yet to come across. Most youtube videos just go straight into application -noy so much explaining soacahtoa

If anyone has a link, please lmk. Thanks!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back