Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use USB flash memory in RH7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatbear

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Anybody can tell me how to use USB flash mem device in RedHat 7.3?
Should I use 'mount' command? And how to 'mount' usb device?
Thanks.

step 1. if you have compilled modules for usb and mass storage device build in kernel skip next commands and go to step 2.

from root
# modprobe usbcore
# modprobe usb-uhci
# modprobe usb-storage

dependig from your chipset you may load
usb-ohci or uhci or ehci-hcd (usb 2) instead of usb-uhci

Step 2.
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb -t vfat

where /dev/sda1 is the first partition from your drive. You can manage the partitions and partition types with cfdisk and mkfs... /mnt/usb is your mounting point... To create it run:

# mkdir /mnt/usb

Also you can add a line in /etc/fstab
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usb vfat noauto,users 0 0

search help on linuxquestions.org

I have mounted the USB memory stick successfully, and I can see the files in it.

But there is another question:
When I copied files from the usb memory to harddisk, after some time reading files, the error infomation was reported : Input/output error. And when I use "ls" command to check the mounted directory, there is no files.
Then I umount the device, pulled it out and after a while re-pulg it in, then re-mounted it, I can see the files again by using "ls" command. But copying files fails. And the files can't be seen after copy operation.
I don't know what's wrong? And somebody can help me?
Thanks in advance!

The first you have to do if you have a problem like that, type dmesg on a shell, then you'll get messages from the kernel. that maybe a long list so type: dmesg|less
if there is a problem with the kernel or a module, there would appear some messages deppending on your memory stick.

That is goood answer !

Status
Not open for further replies.